Toto spec help

Users who are viewing this thread

GreenScrew

Reaction score
Having a hard time figuring out if I can find a Toto, was leaning towards the Drake/Drake II models, with the following specs:

Elongated bowl
Ada height
CEFIONTECT finish
Insulated tank

Preferably tornado flush.

I don't really care if it's 1.6 vs 1.28 flush, in some regards would almost prefer 1.6 as low flow seems to get a bad reputation in our parts for leading to septic issues in the winter (freezing). The biggest challenge seems to be the insulated tank in conjunction with the list of other requirements. Toilets will be installed at a lake home where we do a lot of entertaining and sweating is problematic when entertaining large groups as we often do. The insulated tank is ideal/preferred but I guess there is another alternative for using a mixing valve to warm the water? Anyone know if I can specify a model with these options and/or comment on the mixing valve alternative? TIA!

Reach4

Reaction score
You can get an insulated tank, but you may not need it. In Totos, a D in the part number suffix indicates it has an insulated tank. Since they are less common, expect them to be harder to find and cost more.

There is less new cold water introduced for each flush with a lower flush amount, so there is less tendency to sweat. So even without insulation, it may not sweat. Some plumb the toilet to the hot water if they really don't want the toilet to ever sweat.

https://terrylove.com/pdf/cst744eg-specs.pdf available in insulated, but it is not Tornado flush.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Having a hard time figuring out if I can find a Toto, was leaning towards the Drake/Drake II models, with the following specs:

Elongated bowl
Ada height
CEFIONTECT finish
Insulated tank

Preferably tornado flush.

Not going to happen.
However, the Drake II can be had with a 1 gallon tank, which would have much less chance of sweating than one that emptied the entire tank like the old five gallon junkers.
The tank on the Drake II holds about 3 gallons, so if each person only flushes 1 gallon, it would take a while before the water and tank would get so cold that it would for water droplets on the outside of the tank.
A five gallon tank that empties each time can get very cold.

They do have a 1.6 gallon ST743SD tank for the ADA Drake bowl, CST744EL, without the Tornado or the CEFIONTECT.

GreenScrew

Reaction score
Appreciate the definitive "not going to happen" response, Terry!

Then with the insulated tank out of the picture, it looks like the ever-popular CST454CEFG is a good target for my desires. I'm equipping 3 bathrooms in a new home, so I'll have the plumber install the mixing valve and if I can run straight cold all the better (save some energy) and if not at least I'm prepared.

It looks like I could get 1.6 flush (preferred) in the Promenade with everything but the tornado flush. I like the styling a bit better but with the added cost it's probably net neutral for me. Leaves me wondering about the value of the tornado flush the Drake II will come with. Does this really help keep things cleaner ("skid marks")? I also noticed the Drake II has slightly bigger water surface than the Promenade.

In the end leaning towards the Drake II (CST454CEFG) but would comments pro/con versus the 1.6 non-tornado Promenade (CST424SFG).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks