Toto Promenade II - UltraMax II performance

Users who are viewing this thread

Jdavis37

Reaction score
I have searched through the threads here but after a while I feel like I am getting red marks on my butt from all the sitting and toilet reading! So thought I would ask a direct question....

I do understand MAP scores are a number and do not necessarily represent more than a single benchmark data point. Neither my wife or I make "medical issue logs".

Back in 2013 at our other house I wrenched my brain over toilets. At the time our remodel budget was blowing up and I decided to save approximately $500 by buying the Kohler Cimarron toilets (the newer version with the side bowl wash similar to Toto). The decision worked out.. 1 clog in 7 years for 3 toilets.

We just moved to a different house and it has the first generation Cimarron toilets without the bowl swirl jets. One of our dogs messed on the floor and it led to a big clog. At the time I semi blamed my wife with putting too much in. Few days later another dog mess (the dog messes are a weird thing but may be due to all the rain and 3 of them not liking to go out). I found the mess and only put two smaller pieces in the toilet. There is a slight chance I short flushed BUT I also got a clog. So much for blaming my spousal unit!

When looking at MAP scores the new Ultramax II has a lower number than many of the others in the Toto line even though the flushing system seems very similar. The promenade II for example has a larger MAP score. I could go that direction since they are priced similarly but the flush lever seems odd to me, especially for those of who stand to urinate.

Are the two flushing systems actually the same and the MAP scores just an aberration? Or does the Promenade actually do better? The Drake II also has higher values (MAP) and is a little less expensive than the UltraMax II.

Any perspectives are appreciated, especially regarding the vertical flush lever for the Promenade. My wife doesn't usually like change very well though sitting down I would think the vertical lever might actually be easier. Thx

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
In the TOTO line, the Ultramax II, Drake II and the Promenade are all pretty similar.
The two piece toilets have the edge because the tank sit's a little higher. Doesn't seem to matter though, they all work well.

I like the sweep of the trapway on these models too. I just got back from installing four Ultramax II's for a repeat client. New home, new TOTO toilets. He told me that when guests used them, they were always impressed.

Jdavis37

Reaction score
Thanks Terry. The added height makes sense.... though I was surprised to see the 1 piece Carlyle II and Promenade II were both rated at > 1000 whilst most of the UltraMax IIs were rated at > 500. May be semantics or simple nothingburgers.

I am not adverse to a 2 piece toilet... is all In have ever owned but can see some of the benefits of a single piece.. once less crevice for stuff to get inside. The flush lever on the Promenade just seems "different" and I am trying to envision standing in front of it and pushing forward on the lever versus pushing downward.

I figure were were pretty happy with the Cimarrons we had before that most any of these Totos will be a further step up!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sometimes it looks like their "testing" is all over the board.
Most of TOTO uses the same trapway and the same parts in the tank. The height of the water and how high it's been factory adjusted makes a difference. I sometimes raise the water level adjustment during my installation. I at least take a look at it.
If the tester holds the handle down just a little longer, the flush gets better. Regardless, TOTO makes easy stuff for me to sell over and over again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks