Toto Legato keep flapper/cylinder open longer

Users who are viewing this thread

Joshua Eng

Reaction score
Hi I'm the owner of two new toto legatos which i am pretty happy with. I noticed however that if i hold the lever and allow the entire tank to empty, there is a stronger flush. My question is, does anyone know how to artificially keep the flapper or in this case cylinder up for a longer period of time even if the lever is just used normally and let go. I've attached a picture of my tank.

The one idea i did have to is attach a buoy or floater to the top of the cylinder which at the very least should prop it up for a little longer. I'm open to all ideas! thanks!

Attachments

• 425F1F9A-715C-4291-92DA-49E2F96393D1.JPG
    425F1F9A-715C-4291-92DA-49E2F96393D1.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 282

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Have you had problems flushing away waste when used as designed? If not, why waste water on each flush?

If it had a flapper, you could buy an adjustable one, and do it, but not sure on the canister versions. You could experiment with floats (some designs used them), but keep in mind, if the float breaks free, it could clog up the internals of the toilet!

Modifying it breaks the implied rules on water saving, which may be a big deal in some places in the country. You wont' be getting the water savings you've paid for.

Joshua Eng

Reaction score
Occasionally I will notice a tiny bit of waste.

I understand the water savings idea but I live in an apartment building where I don't directly pay for the water bill so it doesn't really affect me.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I understand the water savings idea but I live in an apartment building where I don't directly pay for the water bill so it doesn't really affect me.

You will know when it's time for a full flush time. Leave it at that. Don't modify the flush, and if you want a little more water for a specific challenge, use it then. The water gets shared by others. No sense wasting it.

legato_01.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks