Toto Guinevere Supply Line Mess Up

Users who are viewing this thread

bern43

Reaction score
I thought I had the clearance for the supply line to clear the skirt on the back of the Guinevere. But I don't. It's off by a small amount. Here's the dimensions.

Rough in = 11.5 inches.
Supply Line = 5 inches from center.
Supply Line distance from wall = 3 1/4 inches
Supply Line height from floor = 3 inches.

Options I've considered:

1. Dahl Valve - I bought this hoping it would be small enough to fit behind the toilet. It's too deep. the 11.5 rough in is too close. I've read there's some wiggle room with the Unifit but I don't think that will be enough to fit it.

2. Plumber sweats on a 90. This seems like it could work with the clearance issue. Not sure how close the plumber could get to the tile.

2. Install the 10 inch Unifit rough in. This would work, but the toilet would be 2 inches more off the wall. It's a narrow bathroom so not ideal.

3. Tear up the new tile and move the supply line.

Any thoughts on what to do here? I'd love to avoid tearing up tile. But if that's the best option, that's what we'll probably end up doing.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you have access below, you could perhaps run a new supply line through the floor, or even the wall (drilling a hole in the tile).

I used a 12 inch Unifit to do a 13+ inch rough. http://www.terrylove.com/forums/ind...rance-with-14-unifit-and-offset-flange.66596/ has a marked-up photo. Maybe you could consider something comparable, but going the other way. This depends on the hole in the closet flange being large enough.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you can move the rough to 12" by shifting the adapter, then sweating on the copper 90 may work.
I have also used a Sharkbite 90 to move it over when the Dahl was too large. I wish Dahl would come out with a smaller adapter where it meets the wall and would take some of the squareness off.

The 10" also works. We've done that sometimes.

bern43

Reaction score
Tile guy still had a bit more work to do, so we ended up opening the wall and moving the supply line. I'm happy with the location, but not how far the shut-off valve sticks out. Plumber put the shut-off valve on while I was out of the house or I would have vetoed it. Not sure if it's worth shortening while the wall is open. I'm guessing it needs to be heated up and then pulled, but I don't want to mess up the other connections.

With kids, I'm worried that they might step on it. Thoughts?

IMG_7733.jpg
IMG_7735.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
That chrome section next to the copper may be a sleeve that slides.

I would be figuring to take that valve off, cut the copper (I like the RIDGID #101 cutter), dress it, and put a Dahl 611-33-31 1/4 turn stop valve in place. That is a compression connection. I would maybe keep the part of the sleeve and escutcheon, but I would cut down the sleeve before sliding it back on. I am not a plumber

dahl-611-33-31.jpg

I might orient the output of the valve maybe in the 1 o'clock or 1:30 position to get the flex supply hose to bend toward the toilet.

I think doing all of this would be done after the tile is done, presuming that the chrome is indeed a sleeve that slides freely.

Last edited by a moderator:

bern43

Reaction score
Chrome is a sleeve, but I believe it's sweated on and slightly bigger than the copper coming out of the wall. Not sure if there's a compression connection that would work with the bigger diameter.

Reach4

Reaction score
Chrome is a sleeve, but I believe it's sweated on and slightly bigger than the copper coming out of the wall.
Be sure of that. As a dress item, there was really no need for it to be sweated in place IMO. Do your work, and then pull the sleeve away from the wall for dress.

Is that a sweated-on valve? If so , the soldering of the sleeve may have been incidental. Cut off the pipe, and the end away from the wall will be gone.

It may be the plumber planned that a second visit would be needed after the tile was gone, but left you a valve in case you wanted to connect the toilet temporarily before then.

bern43

Reaction score
The valve is connected to the chrome pipe. It looks like it's a one-piece unit that was sweated onto the copper stub.

Plumber wasn't planning on coming back.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks