Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The G400 by TOTO is their entry level Neorest style toilet that combines the Washlet with the bowl. A dual flush unit, 1.28 GPF or 0.9 GPF. The seat auto opens and closes, warm seat, warm water wash and warm air dry. It's pretty nice. Power is 120V AC, 60Hz, 409W It also has Water Premist™ of bowl before each use.

g400-install-12.jpg

TOTO G400
https://terrylove.biz/home/132-toto-g400-ms920cemfg-dual-flush-toilet.html

g400-install-05.jpg

With the drain adapter in place and the mounting blocks.

g400-install-03.jpg

g400-install-02.jpg

3-1/2" on the outlet of the adapter. No room for wiggle when installing It needs a full 12" to the wall for the rough with no room for fudging it.

g400-install-06.jpg

The attaching fittings for the Washlet seat to the bowl.

g400-install-07.jpg

The bowl is designed so that it can be plumbed to the floor, or to a wall outlet.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
g400-install-08.jpg

Normally the water supply would be at 11.5" left of center for this install. This one was 7" left of center.

g400-install-09.jpg

The two screws at the back of the bowl help secure it.

g400-install-10.jpg

When you walk up, the lid opens up. Closes after use.

g400-install-13.jpg

TOTO G400

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
g400-adapter-spec.jpg

This looks to be adjustable depending on your rough-in location.
12" rough A-1a
15-3/4" rough, A-1b

Except that TOTO doesn't seem to carry either of the adapters.

Last edited:

Bugaboodoo

Reaction score
We purchased 2 Toto G400 for our remodel of our upstairs full and master bathrooms. Our plumber brought to our attention today a concern with the drain adapter, it extends 3 to 4 inches past the drain opening. Our plumber said, with the turbo flush, waste can collect at the end of the drain adapter and would be extremely difficult to impossible for a plumber to clean or clear out. So, our plumber believes that waste will collect at the end of the drain adapter and eventually emit the offensive smell of collected waste. We called Toto technical support and asked the question. Our plumber said, technical support gave him a text book answer but did not answer the question, "how is waste prevented from being pushed to the end and collecting at the end of the drain adapter?" We called technical support twice, and both times we were placed on hold for 20 minutes before we hung up. Can you please explain if waste collects at the end of the drain adapter, and how the turbo flush function works to keep "back-wash" of waste collecting at the end of the adapter?

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
There is no place for odors to travel since the trap is integral in the china casting and the plastic drain assembly is sealed via wax ring to the closet flange.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've worked on several G400's and have never seen anything that your plumber is concerned with. As long as the unifit adapter is installed on a level floor the way the instructions state, it will perform just as intended...

All toilets will have some foul material under the surface as Breplum mentions.. beyond the water trap seal.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Some of us on this forum have installing toilets with adapters for decades. We also hear the pleas and cries from the uneducated that make up stories about what they "imagine" can happen with any toilet that isn't like the one that their mom and dad had.
All of the Washlet toilets, and so far they all have had adapters for the closet flange, have been amazing toilets.
I think you need a new plumber. The one you have is jealous that you have something he doesn't have.

I started selling bidet seats and Washlets decades ago. I would never go back to old school plumbing for my homes now. When traveling, you will notice that the rest of the world likes to wash with more water and almost no paper.

Encarbon

Reaction score
I have this model and I'm experiencing intermitting sewage gas leaking in from the hole at the bottom of the toilet. Any idea if it can be related to this?

IMG_1542.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
No, its not related to the water supply pipe. Very likely the Unifit was not installed correctly to the closet flange and sewer gases are passing at that location. They're fairly simple to pull and reset. But if the unifit is broken, likely the only place to get a replacement would be Toto.

Encarbon

Reaction score
No, its not related to the water supply pipe. Very likely the Unifit was not installed correctly to the closet flange and sewer gases are passing at that location. They're fairly simple to pull and reset. But if the unifit is broken, likely the only place to get a replacement would be Toto.
Toilet needs to be removed correct?

So it's possible that the gasses are being passed into the bowl if it's installed incorrectly?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Toilet needs to be removed correct?

So it's possible that the gasses are being passed into the bowl if it's installed incorrectly?
Yes, the toilet would need to be removed from the unifit.

Sorta, but Not exactly. If the Unifit is not sealed at the wax gasket or the rubber gasket, gases can pass to the underside of the bowl / the area behind the toilet.. But not inside the bowl where the water sits / flushes. That area is protected from gases by the water in the bowl.

The one that I worked on for Toto was leaking water because of the wax gasket failure, I used a flexible camera to look behind and underneath. In your case there is no visible thing you will see without pulling the toilet and the unifit to examine the condition of the wax.

g400-install-05.jpg

Encarbon

Reaction score
So you think the smell was actually coming from the back of the toilet? If that were the case, is it possible it is intermittent (every month or so) and that it would go away after the toilet was flushed?

Trying to understand if it could be other things might be more likely (city sewage issue or vent blockage) but I'd assume if any of those were the case, other vents/drains in the bathroom would smell, not just the toilet.

Yes, the toilet would need to be removed from the unifit.

Sorta, but Not exactly. If the Unifit is not sealed at the wax gasket or the rubber gasket, gases can pass to the underside of the bowl / the area behind the toilet.. But not inside the bowl where the water sits / flushes. That area is protected from gases by the water in the bowl.

The one that I worked on for Toto was leaking water because of the wax gasket failure, I used a flexible camera to look behind and underneath. In your case there is no visible thing you will see without pulling the toilet and the unifit to examine the condition of the wax.

g400-install-05.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sewer gases exist within the entirety of a plumbing drainage system. They can Not escape the drainage system if the plumbing system is installed correctly and not damaged. Every fixture should have a P-Trap which is designed to hold water that prevents sewer gases from escaping the drainage system and entering your home. So if you're smelling sewer smells, then some portion has failed. I can't say where you are smelling the gas, only that if its coming from the toilet, then it must be coming from behind because that part is open to the Unifit which is connected to the closet flange which is where smelly stuff lives.

And the most common source of sewer smells around a toilet are from the wax ring not making full contact. So if you smell it near the toilet the most likely cause is still the wax ring. The simplest answer is usually correct. Many external factors can affect how much Positive or Negative air pressure is being exerted within your particular location. Some days your venting may be drawing air in and some days it may push air out. That could account for why you only smell it intermittently. But that isn't an exact science and it doesn't really matter. Because IF you can smell sewer, then something isn't sealed and needs to be fixt.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks