Toto Flush Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The original flapper on my Toto toilet had a plastic "fin" on the other side of the fill pipe. This design delayed the drop of the flapper.
The fin has been replaced with the blue power gravity flapper found at any Lowes Hardware.

toto_cst854_inside_tank.jpg

rhutchin02

Reaction score
My post

Terry,

I understand that this replacement is available as I have already installed it. But the problem is this replacement does not function properly. Why did they have the fin in the first place? And why did they do away with it without offering one that works properly?

Reaction score
Terry,

I understand that this replacement is available as I have already installed it. But the problem is this replacement does not function properly. Why did they have the fin in the first place? And why did they do away with it without offering one that works properly?

Be more specific. What is happening? "Does not function properly" is a akin to saying "my car is broken, fix it."

rhutchin02

Reaction score
toto problem

The problem is the flapper has no hang time and closes too quickly. It would seem that toto designed that "fin" so this would not happen.

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
The replacement has been around for years and years and that is what has been installed in the newer toilets and there has not been any problems with them not working.

The flapper you get as a replacement has links that need to be adjusted to each toilet, did you check the link chart on the back of the package?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
ms894_inside_tank.jpg

Are you looking at this old Prominence one-piece toilet?
It has the flapper for timing, and a top button on the lid.

ms894_angle.jpg

TOTO Prominence MS894114 one piece toilet.

This model has been discontinued.
The last one I sold was eight years ago.

Parts for the MS894114

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
cst454_old_inside_tank.jpg

Looking inside an old TOTO Ultimate.
The fill valve is made by Hunter, which was bought by Korky.
The Korky parts will work.

The flush valve uses a rubber disk under the plastic part that lifts up.
It can be replaced with the Blue 3" replacement flapper for Toto by Korky.

The fill tube in the picture should have been pointed into the overflow tube.
It's the fill tube that refills the bowl.

toto_cst854_inside_tank.jpg

Here is a new Toto Ultimate

JoeHenryLR

Reaction score
I have the Toto Drake ST743S, purchased/installed in 9/2009.

The problem I'm having intermittently is that filling continues after the tank is filled to top of overflow tube. So, filling continues and overflow goes down overflow tube.

Does this sound like a flapper/flush valve symptom?

I have tried wiggling and/or pushing down on fill valve...seems like this has worked to stop filling a few times but not every time. I have tried pressing down on flapper to ensure good seating; this has never worked. I have tried turning water off and back on; this seems to have worked a time or two but, again, not every time...and much less often than messing with fill valve assembly. I can't determine what is causing overfill to continue or to stop.

We are on a private well, which from time to time has "issues" which typically sends a good bit of grit/mud through the system. The inside of the toilet tank is a muddy brown (up to water line) and there's silt on the inside bottom of the tank.

Thanks. Joe

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks