Toto Flapper replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

William Kelley

Reaction score
I have a Toto with the original pink flapper that needs replacement. I cannot figure out how to take the old one off. It is hard plastic with no opening to slide off the mounting pegs. Do I have to cut it off or is there some secret to getting it off? Thanks in advance.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The pink flapper will wiggle off the pins.
Don't cut the pins, or you will be buying a new flush valve.

Same thing here with the blue flapper

toto_plymouth-3.jpg

Last edited:

dmalma

Reaction score
The pink flapper will wiggle off the pins.
Don't cut the pins, or you will be buying a new flush valve.

Same thing here with the blue flapper

toto_plymouth-3.jpg
Hi. I'm having the same problem as the original poster. The flapper won't wiggle off the pins. I've tried moving the flapper in every direction and it absolutely won't wiggle off. After 30 minutes of wiggling with no success I figured it would be better to ask if there was some trick that I'm missing before I break the pins. I have 5 other Toto toilets with pink flappers and none of them will wiggle off. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for your help.
P.S. The lip on each end of the pins is so much bigger than the small holes on the flapper (and the rubber doesn't give) I don't know how it will ever come off.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Everything in #2 is correct.

You surely do not want to break the white pins on the overflow tube.

Do you see the notches in the two arms of the blue flapper? That's so they can bend there, allowing the arms to widen away from each other. Needlenose pliers will do it.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
pink-flapper-tank.jpg

I just lift the ends of the flapper up and over the pins on the side.
Or you can cut them carefully with a box knife.

korky-3060-2.jpg

This one has been working well for me.

Last edited:

george gurney

Reaction score
My new TOTO replacement flapper goes too fast and seals the tank my tank only flushes half way.How can I slow it down so I get a full flush?

Reaction score
My new TOTO replacement flapper goes too fast and seals the tank my tank only flushes half way.How can I slow it down so I get a full flush?
You need to adjust the fill value of your new replacement part. Confirm the level of your tank is presently correct to its full level.

The flapper is built to float based on how much water is passing thru it. When enough water has flushed away, the flapper can't float anymore and shuts to allow it to start a refill cycle.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks