Toto Drake

Users who are viewing this thread

bath-fix

Reaction score
After all my research, especially reading threads on this site, I've decided to get a Toto Drake for our remodel. I do, however, have two questions:

1) I've seen references here to a "Toto DrakeII", but I can't find it on the Toto website.... exactly what is it (ie, model number)? And how is it different from the Drake?

2) Should I need to plunge a Drake (I'm truly expecting this to be a rare occurrence, if it every happens at all), is it true that you can't get a good seal with a plunger in an elongated bowl? My brother recently installed a Kohler Comfort Height Elongated, clogs all the time, and has a heck of a time plunging it because of the bowl shape. I don't want to have the same problem, should I ever need to try.

Thanks for the help..... LOVE THIS SITE!!!

carnation

Reaction score
We think alike, especially about the plunging question. I'd like to know the answer to that too. My new Toto Drake has been ordered and will probably be installed next week. I'm a woman with no plunging assistance available, so that's why I make such a big deal about it. If there's a trick to plunging a Drake, I should be able to learn it just like a guy could. The unit I'm replacing with the Drake is an ADA Kohler Wellworth. I hope I won't ever have to resort to an auger.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Terry Love of Love Plumbing & Remodel in Redmond, Washington, says, "Most customers who get builder grade 1.6-gal. toilets for the first time have to learn to use a plunger, and believe it or not, a lot of people don't know how to use a plunger."
According to Love, there's a right way to plunge a toilet. "Put the plunger in with water in bowl, and after a series of short, quick strokes, pull up until everything sucks down. Usually people do big strokes up and down. Using that method, some blockages won't move."

korky_plunger.jpg

The Drake II is a model number CST454ECFG
Either Drake will work fine.
The original Drake ADA is CST744EL or CST744SL

Any of these will work much better then the Wellworth.

Last edited:

carnation

Reaction score
What about this type of plunger? From my research (I now have a Ph.D. in Plungerology), this type supposedly is used more often for commercial use than residential use, but also is a "big boy" plunger that can get the job done. It also isn't particularly cheap. I wonder if it would be difficult for a woman who doesn't pump iron to use. Seems like the business end might consist of rubber that isn't particularly pliable.

Last edited by a moderator:

bath-fix

Reaction score
Thank you all for the help. I'm already quite good with the plunger Terry pictured... hope I'll never have to use it on the Drake we'll order this week! One more thing..... should we install a new supply line with the new Drake, and if so, should it be one ordered from Toto or is one from the local Home Depot acceptable?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'd replace the supply hose. I'd also consider replacing the shutoff valve if it is an older, multi-turn one with a new 1/4-turn job. this is a generic part, no special bit required for a Toto.

bath-fix

Reaction score
Thanks.... will replace shut off and supply as suggested here.

Even though this isn't a "sink" thread, should the same be done for the two new sinks that will be installed in the bathroom? New shut off, supply and p-traps? And again, I would assume Home Depot is fine (and pvc p-traps), as opposed to the horribly expensive ones from Kohler.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It depends on their condition. Older multi-turn valves wear out...their washers get hard and don't always work or break and then the pieces clog parts. A couple of dollars for new supply line isn't bad insurance. A pvc trap could outlive us both, so it might be fine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks