Toto Drake water rises before flushing

Users who are viewing this thread

NasDaddy

Reaction score
ever since replacing the flapper and handle with original Toto parts (I believe it started after the flapper) the toilet flushes but not with the mighty whoosh it did 10+ years ago when I installed the 1.6 gpf Drake base on reviews in this forum.

I recently removed the unit and found some calcium buildup in the floor drain but cleaning that out did not solve the problem. I also verified that I don’t have the funnel type flange insert with the seal, it’s just a black foam one (don’t like wax rings for these type of problems that arise)

1) is there a way to improve the flush? There is not much slack in the chain and the arm lifts it pretty much straight up, it’s on the furthest out position on the arm.

2) am thinking of replacing the whole tank so I get all original parts/settings but am skeptical that it may be something to do with the bowl which it seems is no longer produced.

3) does the Drake need more of an airtight seal with wax or plastic ring vs this foam one?

My other toilet is American Standard Cadet II which has had no issues compared to this Drake.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You found calcium buildup in the floor drain, did you check the siphon jet on the near side of the bowl down low? That needs to be clear for the water to pour through there and start the siphon on the flush. I like to put on a rubber glove when I check that.

Reach4

Reaction score
am thinking of replacing the whole tank so I get all original parts/settings but am skeptical that it may be something to do with the bowl which it seems is no longer produced.
I expect replacing the bowl would be more likely to improve the flush than replacing the tank. The toilet has passages for rim holes and siphon jet, as Terry said. If those are limed up, that would cause deteriorating flush.

does the Drake need more of an airtight seal with wax or plastic ring vs this foam one?
Same as for other toilets. An air leak in the wax or waxless seal is not going to hurt flushing performance.

My other toilet is American Standard Cadet II which has had no issues compared to this Drake.
Is that toilet newer or used less? I expect the liming up would increase with the number of flushes and time.

A softener would stop the liming up. On the other hand, replacing the toilets every 100,000 flushes would be cheaper.

NasDaddy

Reaction score
Checked the small siphon holes by the front of the bowl, not blocked but I cleaned them with a small bristle brush, water still rises at least 1.5 inches in the bowl before flushing. I was concerned that this is using more water than the original “low flow” 1.6gpf it was designed for but I guess that is not the case since the water filling the bowl is the same original water level that is in the tank. So at least my water bills are not increased with each flush, just my wife’s ire that sometimes (rarely) more than one flush is required.

NasDaddy

Reaction score
The AS Cadet was installed at the same time (but receives less use as it’s in the basement). Have not had any issues with sediment, cleaning, part replacement or performance from that one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks