toto drake tank not tight after install

Users who are viewing this thread

Rachel127

Reaction score
My husband and I recently purchased and installed a toto drake toilet in our bathroom.

For the most part the install went well. The only thing that seems strange is that the tank is not firmly in place. There is no leaking but when the toilet is flushed there is a slight movement of the tank.

We don't want to tighten the bolts too much to avoid cracking the tank. Do you have any suggestions? I just doesn't seem right not having the tank tight.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Use the search option on the menu bar above, and you'll find numerous threads discussing your question. Basically, a little motion is okay, but read the other threads.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Tighten the bolts

The spud washer between the tank and bowl may be spongy and you should be able to tighten some more. Just keep the two china surfaces from meeting.

Tony0945

Reaction score
I have the same problem

drake_sand_bolt3.jpg

https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=743&highlight=cst744s

I just had two bathrooms refloored and two Toto Drake 743S's installed. One leaked at the left tank to bowl bolt and the other leaked at the tank to bowl gasket. I took the tanks off (took considerable effort to loosen the nuts on the bolts) and sanded inside the tank where the rubber washers go. Fine sandpaper worked well and the surface had been rather knobbly. I remounted the tanks, scrunching them down and tightening alternately as suggested. I now have them two whole turns past finger tight and the leaks are gone. However, the tank is tight side-to-side, but rocks slightly front-to-back. Previously, they were rock solid, but leaked (seeped). I don't want to over tighten. I don't understand the advice about the menu bar. I don't see any menu bar. I'm using Firefox 1.0.7 on Windows 2000.

Should I tighten some more? The screwdriver won't turn more, but if I hold with the screwdriver, I can turn the nuts more with a 1/2" box wrench.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kstuart

Reaction score
If you don't see:

Terry Love's Plumbing & Remodel advice forum > Toilets Forum discussions
toto drake tank not tight after install
Welcome, [your name].
You last visited: Today at 12:32 AM
Private Messages: 0 Unread, Total .

User CP Register FAQ Members List Calendar New Posts Search Quick Links Log Out

near the top of the page, then I would suggest getting rid of Firefox, and reinstalling IE6.

If you do see it, then click on the word "Search".

Tony0945

Reaction score
I see it now

The problem was 800x600 resolution rather than the browser.

The tank bolt is leaking again. From the search function I learned about the flush valve. I'll dismantle it one more time and sand under the flush valve. It could be leaking at the tank to bowl gasket and running over. The toilet is not level side to side but is level front to back. The imbalance is slight, not visible to the eye, but is to a spirit level.

I know this problem is old hat, but not newbies. Maybe a post install troubleshooting list at the instruction post would help. I certainly recommend editting that page to note that a little movement of the tank is OK.

JDkimes

Engineer
Reaction score
You said "the screw drive won't turn anymore" are you turning the screwdriver to tighten these tank bolts? That could be a problem. Maybe scarring the rubber washer. You should tighten from the outside with the nuts and a wrench and the metal washer should be under the nuts. Are you sure you put the tank/bowl gasket on properly.
I'm assuming you found this thread
https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=743
about installing the Drake.

These might be stupid questions but can't hurt to ask. The question still remains how many pancakes does it take to shingle a dog house?
Three because ice cream doesn't bounce.
Right Terry?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks