Toto Drake tank/bowl leak

Users who are viewing this thread

rmack

Reaction score
We recently moved into a new house where we had requested the plumber use Toto toilets. We have several Drake CST744S toilets that have leaks between the tank and bowl. Water will drip off one of the tank bolts after the units are flushed several times. The plumbers discarded the installation manuals so I have nothing to reference if the install was done properly. I loosened two of the tanks and tried to center the foam ring hoping that it would stop the leaks. One seems to have stopped, but the other is still at it. The bolts have rubber washers. I can't figure this one out. In the past I have rebuilt several old toilets and never had this problem. It seems like the foam ring used between the tank and bowl is not closed cell foam. I should not have to spread some type of sealer on that connection. Friction and compression should be adequate. Any idea what is wrong? Thanks for any help.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The gasket between the tank and the bowl might have been installed with the taper the wrong direction, or not fully seated when bolted together. Easy enough to check.

Jumpyg

Reaction score
If water is coming off the tank bolts, that sounds like a problem with the rubber washers around the bolts. A leak in the gasket between the tank and the bowl doesn't seem like it would run down the bolts. One thing Terry's son recommends in this thread is to sand aound the bolt holes prior to installation to make sure the rubbers washers seat properly.

I just installed the Drake and there's nothing in the instructions that you're missing.

toto-tank-parts.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks