Toto Drake, or ?

Users who are viewing this thread

fraidycat

Reaction score
I've been pondering new lo-flow toilets, and from all accounts, the Drake looks good. I haven't had problems requiring plungers, etc.,, but I have had to replace the insides on my two enough times that they probably would amount to half the cost of a new toilet and our area has a rebate program which is spurring me on. How is the Drake as to that? Is our hard water part of the problem, or just par for the course?

Second, I have 11" and 11.5" to the wall (not the baseboard). When installed is there a gap or should there be? Can I remove the baseboard and it will set flush with the wall? Can I self-install (middle aged female, fairly handy and strong, but no plumbing experience and would rather not experiment with offset flanges or other unknowns)? I'm looking at cost/function - are there better options than the Drake? Am I assuming correctly that the G-max technology is better than the other Toto flushing technologies, including the dual flush Aquia?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Toto Drake or Aquia would be a good choice.
The Drake can be installed at 11"
and the Aquia needs 11.5"

Most of the time, the tanks don't touch the wall.
If you have hard water, the Drake with the CEFIONTECT may be better.

Last edited:

fraidycat

Reaction score
Thanks, Terry. Have there been many problems with the Aquia? I see that it, as opposed to other Totos, has only a one year warranty as opposed to the usual five years on the other models.

BSwanson

Reaction score
Toto Drake lo flo

This middle aged woman replaced her toilet (2 piece is easier) with a lo flo Drake. I love it. It also has an offset flange because of a contracter error. There is no problem at all with flush, even with the offset. I would get the sani flush option. I just measured my wall behind the toilet and it has a 1 inch space to the wall. That looks good, but I figure that gives you some wiggle room too.

fraidycat

Reaction score
I decided to go with the Drake instead of the Aquia due to the 5 year vs. 1 year warranty. Got two elongated Drakes installed today and have to say, so far I'm really pleased. Not too loud, the softclose seats are great and a quick tap on the lever seems to provide a dual flush mode. I wimped out and went with a plumber to install because I had an outside faucet that needed replacement (and soldering). My water bill should be a pleasant surprise. Thanks for the help and advice.

TPA

Reaction score
Just curious, where are you seeing that the warranty on the Aquia is one year? Both the Drake and Aquia are showing 5 year warranties on the spec sheets I have.

fraidycat

Reaction score
Perhaps the warranty has changed? I see the 1 year for the Aquia at several websites but don't know if I can put them here?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
fraidycat said:
Perhaps the warranty has changed? I see the 1 year for the Aquia at several websites but don't know if I can put them here?

http://www.totousa.com/productpage.asp?PID=803

Toto Aquia has same 5 year warranty as other Toto toilets.
None of the Aquia's in US have aged beyond one year.
They were used in Thailand for 6 years before Toto brought them to market here.

Mike50

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks