Toto Drake (or?) vs. Gerber Ultra-Flush

Users who are viewing this thread

TMBRO

Reaction score
I've read all the great info on this site. But I still get a bit confused on which is better for which situation. Most of the big plumbing companies in our area recommend the Gerber, but they don't carry the Toto. This if for a replacement toilet(s) and the biggest reason for the change is the clogging. Our problem seems to be the size of the bulk, not the excess of paper, etc. (all boys!) The Gerber has a 3+" trap, while the Totos have a 2 1/4". Is the Gmax flushing of the Toto enough to make up for that difference? Can someone give me a real head-to-head comparison of these 2 toilets?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The min. trapway on the Gerber is 1-7/8"
The min. trapway on the Toto is 2-1/8"
The total length of the Gerber is about 1" longer, taking up more space in the bathroom.

Performance is very similar between the two.

They both use about 1.5 to 1.6 gallons of water.
The Gerber uses a small jet with more pressure behind it,
The Toto uses the larger jet, backed by the 3" flush valve in the tank.
High pressure jet, quick drop from the tank.

Parts on the Toto are dirt cheap compared to the Gerber.
I can replace most of the parts in the Toto in less than a minute without tools.
The Gerbers going to cost more, and get the tools out.

Quality control on the Toto is better.

I get many more repeat sales from the Toto line,
I've been selling both for years.

Either will do the job fine.

If you really want a min. 3" trapway, go with Caroma.

gerber_21302_1.jpg

Gerber 21-302 with the Flushmate 1.6 gallon tank.

Last edited:

TPA

Reaction score
If you have a Lowe's hardware store nearby, you have access to all of the replacement parts you'll ever need. They carry both of the Toto flappers and fill valve in-stock. Both parts together cost <$12.

TMBRO

Reaction score
according to the link on your site--the Gerber has "a 3 1/8" average trapway". That was on the Gerber site.

The outlet on the Gerber Ultraflush is 1-7/8", too small for a tennis ball to pass through.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Average?
It's the minimum that counts.
It used to be 1-7/8" for the Gerber, and now they say 2"

I had a customers dog drop a ball in the bowl of a Gerber. I wouldn't quite make it through. I had to pull the toilet and put a wood screw in the ball from the botton side and pull it the rest of the way through.

The difference between the two at the outlet of the trapway is 1/8", Toto being bigger.

I sell something like 3,000 Toto every year, and about 50 of the Gerber.
I'm more likely to sell a Gerber customer a Toto later on, then a Gerber to a previous Toto customer.

I've had them both in my home, I know why that's the case.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Scott,
You should also mention the CR doesn't do in home testing of toilets.
It's all done in a warehouse be a couple of men in lab coats flushing sponges and what not,
But not what homeowners flush down them,
That would be just too gross for the guys in lab coats that also test car batterys, folding baby chairs or other important day to day plumbing items.
To even suggest that those two guys who in ten years never even took a look at a toilet in a home could know what the average homeowner already knows is just silly.
I've been selling the Gerber Ultraflush for much longer than I even knew about Toto.
It's the homeowners,
they are the ones choosing.
When they move into their second and third homes, they are the ones driving the sales.
The guys in the coats still don't get it.
I sell every brand,
but most of the time, the homeowners request the Toto.

Toto Drake elongated, $250
Gerber Ultraflush elongated, $340

The CR listing?
A good part of my business is removing the toilets that CR had suggested to homeowners.
Some of their choices work well, and others don't.
If CR did their "homework" that wouldn't be the case.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks