Toto Drake or Kohler Corbelle (or something else?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Aspiring DIYer

Reaction score
I need to purchase three toilets for my first home, which I'm renovating before moving into. I was going to get Toto Drakes because my parents have them and love them, but I'd really like a skirted toilet. I've been eyeing the Kohler Corbelle, but I haven't found many reviews because it's so new.

Does anyone have experience with both the Corbelle and Drake that they could share? Or, do you have alternate toilet suggestions? I saw the Toto Vespin mentioned on these boards, but I'm not sure if it is in fact a Drake with a skirt or a totally different toilet.

I want comfort height, an elongated bowl, and something that will stand up well over time and not clog or need lots of flushes. And, of course, I'd love a skirted toilet if I can find one that meets the other requirements.

kohler-corbelle-02.jpg

Kohler Corbelle

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They are both pretty close, with the TOTO getting the slight edge in my book.
Either way it's going to be better than what you replaced. All the bowls have gotten better over the years.

Reach4

Reaction score
I saw the Toto Vespin mentioned on these boards, but I'm not sure if it is in fact a Drake with a skirt or a totally different toilet.
Vespin is not a Drake with a skirt. I have a Vespin, and it works well. It uses the Unifit adapter. Search for that term in the search box above, and you will find a lot of mention.

Aspiring DIYer

Reaction score
Thank you both for your replies! I looked at the Vespin further, and I think it would be perfect, but I can't justify the cost. I think I'm going to go with the Drake, but I might go take a look at the Corbelle one more time.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depending on where you find the Vespin, the price could vary radically...so shop around.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
You mentioned not clog up or have to flush multiple times. This fear by most is the millions of toilets that were installed right after 1.6 gallon flush was mandatory. The problem was most of the manufactures made simple changes. They were not throughly thought out and most of the first generation low volume toilets didn’t work well. I think TOTO was one of the first to get it right and it’s why many plumbers like them because they didn’t have go back to their customers for poor performance flush.

For the last few years they all work good. There are even tv commercials demonstrating the flush. The manufactures have it down pretty good now where the tank, flush valves and bowls are all designed together and most important plenty of water left in the bowl. Working recently with a kitchen and bath designer this is one of the biggest concerns customers have when specing out a job. He did my bathroom and a TOTO was installed. Excellent quality.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
One thing to look at, especially if you can see the trapway in the toilet, is if there are any abrupt directional changes in the path for the waste. The Totos all seem to be designed with smooth curves, and the outlet to the flange is nearly vertical. Many toilets make that last turn at a quite sharp 90-degree bend...that slows things down, and if it has hard/long bits, they don't like to go around that bend. FOr a 'normal' deposit, it may not matter, but it can be critical sometimes and for some people for good performance.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks