Toto Drake Incomplete Flush on Flush Quick Release

Users who are viewing this thread

Ayoo

Reaction score
I just had 2 Toto Drakes (CST776CEFG) installed in my house after reading about them on this forum. One flushes very quickly and how i assume it would if i just depress the flush and release. The other doesn't do a complete flush upon depressing the flusher and quickly releasing, but does a decent job if held down. I would like the slow flushing one to flush without holding the flusher.

I'm wondering if anyone can help diagnose the issue. Here are some videos for comparison

Quick flushing:
Slow flushing:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Did you place the wax ring on the floor? Or did you place the wax on the bowl and then set?
If the wax ring falls off and blocks the drain, it's going to look like that.

oatey-twist-n-set-terrylove-3.jpg

Ayoo

Reaction score
Thanks Terry for the response! I definitely appreciate this forum and learned quite a bit here.

I don't know whether the wax ring was first placed on the floor or the toilet as i wasn't watching at that point of the installation by the plumber. I have seen different plumbers doing it both ways on youtube. Which way do you recommend?

I guess i have to take the toilet off and redo the wax ring. I hope that's the only issue. I'll give it a shot later this week and report back for others.

Thanks!

Ayoo

Reaction score
I texted the plumber and he said he put the ring on the floor first. He said he just set the toilet down and does not think it’s the seal causing blockage.

I’m wondering if it could be blockage from before the toilet replacement perhaps further down the pipe.

I’ll probably try to replace the seal myself later in the week as it’s rather annoying to hold down the flusher.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If they placed the wax ring on the floor flange, then that should be okay. Something is preventing a siphon though.
Hopefully nobody dropped anything in the bowl that doesn't belong. I've pulled out Q-Tips that would slow a drain down. And one time an installer that wadded up some stuff and flushed it down. I wound up using a closet auger to clear the trapway that time.

Reach4

Reaction score
You might try pouring water from a 5 gallon bucket or bigger container from as high as you can, and as fast as you dare. The deluge might wash anything in the path away.

Ayoo

Reaction score
Took me a while to get around to try to fix this. Unfortunately, removing the toilet and reseating it did not fix it.

* I poured a lot of water from a bucket as fast as i could into the toilet several buckets full. The water appears to go down fine, however it did not have any impact on the flushing.
* I removed the toilet and fished a line through the drain trap and could not find any obstruction. The wax seal did look properly placed and I cleaned up and applied a new wax seal. This did not fix the flush.

My house is old and removing the toliet I saw we have an old metal pipe which the toilet was bolted to. I didn't think to measure the opening, but could the size of the pipe factor in? Maybe the amount of water flushed is not enough for that size of pipe (if it's bigger) to create a siphon? I don't quite understand the physics of how the bottom siphon works.

Or possibly could this be a manufacture defect? That's what my plumber suggested.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks