Toto Drake II Plunger/Tower sticking

Users who are viewing this thread

Dianet44

Reaction score
I have been a Toto fan for over 20 years and have only bought those when I needed to replace. This last go round, I got a Drake II with the plunger/tower instead of the regular flapper. I have had nothing but problems with its ability to recover after flushing. It flushes fine, but the plunger stays "up" and doesn't allow the tank to refill. Toto sent a new plunger. Still was a problem. The plumbing place I bought it from came by and replaced the whole tower. It still happened maybe 10-20% of the time. Now about a year later, we are up to about a 70% stick rate. It is sooooo frustrating. It has shaken my commitment to get Toto toilets. ( I always read your opinion before I purchase, BTW) I have sent an email to Toto Customer Service asking them to just replace the darn thing. Any ideas? Do others have this problem as well?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
No, this hasn't been a problem. Can you post of picture of the inside of the tank?
I wonder if the alignment of the trip lever is an issue. Those are brass rods, and can be bent to different positions in the tank.
I like to make sure that the pulling chain has a clear path and angle to the piston.

Dianet44

Reaction score
No, this hasn't been a problem. Can you post of picture of the inside of the tank?
I wonder if the alignment of the trip lever is an issue. Those are brass rods, and can be bent to different positions in the tank.
I like to make sure that the pulling chain has a clear path and angle to the piston.
Here are a couple of files, a photo and a video of the flush. Thanks for responding. I truly appreciate it and am at wits end as to what to do. I think I just have a lemon as we have been dealing with this for a while. The video was taken shortly after the toilet was installed...over a year ago! OK, It wouldn't let me attach the video, even though I removed sound and trimmed it. Any suggestions to add that file?

Smaller toto pic inside.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here are a couple of files, a photo and a video of the flush. Thanks for responding. I truly appreciate it and am at wits end as to what to do. I think I just have a lemon as we have been dealing with this for a while. The video was taken shortly after the toilet was installed...over a year ago! OK, It wouldn't let me attach the video, even though I removed sound and trimmed it. Any suggestions to add that file?
I think most people upload their videos to YouTube or Vimeo then provide a link to that site.

Ty01

Reaction score

View attachment 85913
Any replies, I have the exact same weak flush and exact same toilet with internals?

Zrag

Reaction score
Any replies, I have the exact same weak flush and exact same toilet with internals?
I've got the same issue with the toilet. The mechanism in the flush tower doesn't slide all the way back down to create the seal after flushing. I've used this toilet in 3 other instances, and never had this problem. Not sure if the plumber that installed did something differently, but he also couldn't figure it out when I had him back out to look at it. I'll get around to messing with it some more and if I can find something that works I'll post an update.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
When I do my installs I make sure that the brass rod is positioned to be centered over the flush valve. The rod will bend easily.
Then make sure that the chain is positioned so that it's a straight drop. Sometimes I move it further to the end of the rod.

Zrag

Reaction score
When I do my installs I make sure that the brass rod is positioned to be centered over the flush valve. The rod will bend easily.
Then make sure that the chain is positioned so that it's a straight drop. Sometimes I move it further to the end of the rod.
Thanks, I'll give that shot. It's in a condo that I won't be back at for a couple of weeks, but will report back if I have any luck.

Lee_Leses

Reaction score
My Ultramax II does the same thing. It's VERY frustrating and it wastes a lot of water too!

I know in my case the chain is not very loose, but the chain is getting caught in the moving part of the valve sometimes.

Yes, I know I can try shortening the chain, but I'm not ready to go there yet.

In my case, there's a little white thing on the top of the green plunger. I'm wondering if it may be there to adjust on the chain to keep the chain from snagging on the green plunger. Will try to remember to take a pic of the white thing on the chain.

Hmmmmm, if no one knows I may try calling Toto.

I also don't like the non-optional hole for the optional bidet.

I may be close to ripping the whole thing out and no more Toto toilets!

Lee_Leses

Reaction score
See? The chain is not too loose.

Is the white thing there supposed to go further up the chain to prevent jamming after a flush?

Attachments

• t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 117

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't know the answer to your question, but I would clip the chain into the farthest hole, and I would bend the rod to the right in your picture.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks