Toto Drake Flappers failing and huge water bill

Users who are viewing this thread

mom23boys

Reaction score
I have a lot of toilets in my new house (2 years old). 7 are Toto Drakes. One is the more expensive Toto Soiree - purchased because it was going under a window in a child's bath and we needed a lower profile toilet. As you can imagine, with this many toilets I am not really on the ball regarding whether they are running. . . . My children have apparently had running toilets for a while and the basement one has been running as well. Water bill was around 75.00 a month and shot up to over 300 . . . (we have a well for exterior watering). I have looked in several toilets and the flappers definitely look deteriorated. I have tried to replace a couple but it is more complicated than a normal repair because they are 1.28 toilets and have a float which seems to be the failing point. Can I eliminate the float? Is there a way to retrofit the Drake for a flapper without a float? I have never had so much trouble with toilets or such a high water bill!!!

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Tough love time: running toilets occur in all homes and all commercial establishments. When I owned restaurants, I told the manager before leaving for a few weeks (in writing by the way) to call the plumber and/or change the freaking flappers in the employee rest rooms because the toilet were running and he hadn't noticed it. He almost got fired when I returned and discovered that he had not done it. Commercial-rate water bill rise for the three weeks? Over $500. It's your responsibility as the homeowner to occasionally walk through the house and make sure they are not running. It happens with all models of toilet, everywhere.

It is a super-easy matter to replace the flapper. The little wings on the side of the overflow riser hook into the hole on the side of the flapper. I'll post a video a little further on here. If you need a flapper for the Soiree, use this one: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Korky-3-in-Toilet-Tank-Flapper-for-Toto-G-Max-2021CM/202666003

It is the exact flapper made by Korky for installation by Toto in the Soiree when Toto manufactured it. (There are a couple of versions, but this is one.) Easiest way to get it is online, in your local hardware store, or in HD.

I don't know which Drakes you have. If you have the Original Drake, CST744S, this is also the flapper for it.

If you have the Eco Drake CST744E or the Drake II, CST454CEFG, get this flapper: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Korky-3-in-Adjustable-Toilet-Tank-Flapper-3060CM/202183799

This is the flapper that Terry, our founder, carries on his truck, because it will fit perfectly on any Toto that has a 3" flapper. One flapper for all models. Genius. Here's a video from Korky on how to install it:

Here's a head start: the proper setting for the CST744E or 743E is "1". You can also find this flapper online at merchants who may get it to you faster than HD. Just google Korky 3060BP. If you comparison shop, be sure to check for shipping costs.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There are several flappers that work with the Drake. Some have the floats and some don't.
There are also several aftermarket flappers that work. Normally a flapper will last much longer then that unless there is clorine in the tank. Most manufacturers won't gaurantee rubber parts if there is chlorine present.
Regardless, the flapper is a pretty easy part to replace. I notice that TOTO has gone away from the float now.

cst744-red-2.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks