Toto Drake/flange install question

Users who are viewing this thread

jlsl1081

Reaction score
I'm planning on installing a Toto Drake, so I removed my old toilet today. The flange is securely installed to the sub-floor & there is ceramic tile on the floor now that extends 1/2" above the flange. However I plan on installing laminate tile flooring that is 5/16" thick on top of the ceramic flooring. So with the existing ceramic tile & the new padding & laminite tile, there will be about 1" from the top of the flange to the top of the new laminite tile.

So what is my best solution concerning which wax ring to use? I've seen a 1/2" plastic flange extender at Home Depot that appears to attach to the top of the existing flange. Should I use one of these? Or aren't these a good idea? With or without one of these extender flanges, any suggestion on what type of wax ring(s) set up to use? On the toilet I took off it appeared they installed it using 2 wax rings put together.

Also, do they make closet bolts long enough to reach my 1" distance from flange to top of floor, & then through the Toto?

Thanks,
John

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
First, I'm not a pro.

The toilet flange is supposed to be on TOP of the finished floor. You've gotten away with it, but if there ever was a leak, the crud would now be going inbetween your flooring levels, and you might not know it until it had been happening for a long time.

I'm not sure whether you can stack that many flange extenders together, but I'm pretty sure I've seen flange bolts long enough to work. Many of them come extra long with notches so you can break them off easily (well, moderately) to the proper length.

I don't know how your flange is attached and what type of pipe you have or what access you might have. But, with this many layers, and the flange that far below the surface, you should consider raising the flange to the new floor height. Not sure what an inspector would say, it might not pass.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks