Toto Drake EL versus SL toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

decalgal

Reaction score
Boy, they keep making this more difficult! After reading all the stuff about toilets on this forum, I decided the Toto Drake CST744SL was for me. So I called a couple supply places, and found out that there are TWO ADA height Toto Drake models...the CST744SL and the CST744EL. They cost the same, but here in CA they will rebate me up to $175 if I get the EL. The EL has a 1.28 gal tank (getting smaller and smaller!). Has anyone tried out this super efficient toilet, and does it work as well as the SL, with the 1.6 gal tank? The sales person told me that the EL model has two settings for the flush, one uses more water...you choose the one to use each time. Anyone tried this, and does the EL work as well as the SL, or should I just forget about the rebate and get the one with more water? I love this site, and will wait until I get some feedback before deciding...

thanks
decalgal

WaterSense Toilets for the Seattle Area

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Search on Eco-drake...people that have them like them. Any modern toilet will waste more water if you hold the handle down, so you could call that a two-stage flush. Now, there are some flush valves that actually do have a two stage flush, the Toto Aquia is one of them.

decalgal

Reaction score
One more question about the Drake - water line position

After reading all the reviews, I ran across something else. I measured the trap distance on the existing toilet, 12", perfect. Then there was something about the incoming water line...mine is 7" to the left of center, and 5" up from the floor. The diagram for Toto indicates we need it to be 8" up from the floor, 6" left of center. Can't we just get a longer water line to reach? Is the water line for the Toto a universal size (the connection to the toilet end)? Someone mentioned having to rip out the wall to reinstall the water line at the correct height....is that possibly correct? Seems pretty drastic.:confused:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some of the Toto toilets have a skirt which makes them wider at the rear down low than more traditionally styled toilets. This means that the water supply would be stuck behind the toilet, making it difficult or impossible to shut off. Having it further away from the centerline should not be a problem. The fill valve uses standard parts, so yes, you should be able to use a longer version of the hose, if required. They seem to come in lengths at about 4" increments up to 20" or so.

decalgal

Reaction score
Interesting info on those Toto Drake toilets

I talked to a wholesaler for Toto. He says it is a great toilet. I asked him about the difference between the 1.28 and the 1.6 gal. He told me that Toto started making the smaller tank for the Drake YEARS ago, before there were specification requirements for low-flow. Their tank is actually 1.4 gals. Since the low flow specs read "1.6 gals" they just called that model a 1.6 gallon model. So when the ECO low flow came out at 1.28 gallons, the actual difference is much smaller than you would expect....only .12 gallons (less than 2 cups). That is why the ECO Drake flushes pretty much the same as the Standard Drake! And yes, I am definitely going with the ECO and the rebate! Also pleasantly surprised to discover that the Drake (both ECO and standard are same price) is a very reasonably priced unit! It's a win-win-win situation!

I love your site!
decalgal

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks