Toto Drake CST776CSF(G) - water level in bowl drops

Users who are viewing this thread

RealFla

Reaction score
Hi, I recently had the Drake CST776CSFG 2-pc 1.6g toilet installed & after the toilet has been flushed the water in the bowl drains out to a very low level within about 4 minutes. I marked the levels in red on the attached photos. The toilet has just been in place a few days & has only been used once or twice because the rest of the bathroom work isn't finished. What might be causing this & how do I fix it? Many thanks!

IMG_4737.jpg
IMG_4753.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Crack in bowl is possible.

Less likely is a hiden piece of string/rope, over the weir, that siphons out the bowl.

Something drawing a vacuum on the vent line could do it. Seems unlikely assuming no high winds.

I presume the dog did not visit during those 4 minutes. ;-)

You were not doing a door blower pressure leak test on the house, were you?

RealFla

Reaction score
Crack in bowl is possible.

Less likely is a hiden piece of string/rope, over the weir, that siphons out the bowl.

Something drawing a vacuum on the vent line could do it. Seems unlikely assuming no high winds.

I presume the dog did not visit during those 4 minutes. ;-)

You were not doing a door blower pressure leak test on the house, were you?
No dog visits or high winds! Doubtful any string or similar went down the toilet, as it was just installed & hasn't been used more than a few times.

How can I tell if there's a crack in the bowl?

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
The only way to see what is going on is to "bench test".
We remove the toilet. Then place just the bowl on supports with the drain exposed, like sawhorses. Pour water in to fill the bowl after priming the trap, then observe.
A brand new WC is under full warranty and your plumber is technically responsible for dealing with this.
This is one of myriad reasons that we charge what seems like a lot of money for what we do.

RealFla

Reaction score
The only way to see what is going on is to "bench test".
We remove the toilet. Then place just the bowl on supports with the drain exposed, like sawhorses. Pour water in to fill the bowl after priming the trap, then observe.
A brand new WC is under full warranty and your plumber is technically responsible for dealing with this.
This is one of myriad reasons that we charge what seems like a lot of money for what we do.
Thank you, @breplum. Plumbers definitely earn their pay and I very much appreciate the free advice! How do you prime the trap?

Reach4

Reaction score
Toilet trap (which is part of the toilet) gets filled when you flush. The fill valve has a little hose called the refill tube. It puts water down the overflow, which leads to the bowl. No priming needed. Just do a couple of flushes.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Does this toilet back up to another? Does it happen in the same timeframe, or might it coincide with someone flushing a toilet that is back-to-back with it?

RealFla

Reaction score
Toilet trap (which is part of the toilet) gets filled when you flush. The fill valve has a little hose called the refill tube. It puts water down the overflow, which leads to the bowl. No priming needed. Just do a couple of flushes.
Thank you, @Reach4. So flush toilet several times; remove & place on supports; pour some water into bowl (I'm assuming pour water almost up to normal level?) and if it drains out, there's a crack - right?
Does this toilet back up to another? Does it happen in the same timeframe, or might it coincide with someone flushing a toilet that is back-to-back with it?
Hi @jadnashua -this toilet doesn't back up to another, and it drains down within approx. 4 minutes every time it is flushed, even if the other toilet hasn't been flushed for hours before or after. I tried slowly pouring water in after it drains, but that drains out as well.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you are going to lift and then place on supports, you would want to remove the water until the bowl/toilet is up on blocks. A wet vac is one way to remove the water. Soak water in a towel, wring out the towel, repeat, is another good method.

RealFla

Reaction score
If you are going to lift and then place on supports, you would want to remove the water until the bowl/toilet is up on blocks. A wet vac is one way to remove the water. Soak water in a towel, wring out the towel, repeat, is another good method.
Thank you!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks