Toto Drake 1.6 Gal Water Hammer

Users who are viewing this thread

SAS

Reaction score
I had an odd accident in the basement bathroom where I tripped over my own feet and fell. I caught myself on the toilet, an old Toto model. The good news is that it broke my fall and I didn't get hurt at all. The bad news is that I smashed the back of the tank into the wall and it broke open. The worse news is that the tank for that toilet is no longer available.

So today I installed a new Drake 1.6 Gal. Drake toilet. The installation went quite smoothly, but the toilet has a water hammer when the fill valve shuts. I never had any issue at any of the 4 toilets in this house before. I've attached a picture of the fill valve that came with the toilet. As a short term (or perhaps long term) fix, I took the old Korky valve with the number 528 on it (photo below) from the old toilet and swapped the two. It's relatively new, as I think I installed it 2-3 years ago. Is this a suitable replacement? Should I ask Toto to send me a new Toto fill valve?

2019-05-05 16.21.25.jpg
2019-05-05 16.21.36.jpg

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I do not like any fill valves located below the water level no matter what the manufacturers say

Under the toilet tank there should be a globe type of valve and globe valves are for throttling

By closing the valve slowly and allowing the tank to fill you can adjust the volume and velocity to prevent hydraulic shock

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
flush-tower-3.jpg

TOTO uses three fill valves. The Korky style with the green and the blue caps are nice. You might try Sylvan's idea about turning down the water supply at the feed. I never know what fill valve I'm getting until I open the box.

SAS

Reaction score
I called Toto and they promptly sent me a new fill valve. This was a blue one like the one in Terry's picture above, although it also has an adjustment for the amount of water that goes to the bowl. It doesn't have the water hammer of the original one that shipped with the toilet and it puts a bit more water in the bowl than the Korky 528 that I had lying around. It's a TSU99A.X

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks