Toto CST864 Water Won't Drain from Toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
This toilet gets clogged very easily from normal use. My previous toilet was an old one and I never had this problem. This latest issue started with a clog which I think I managed to clear. The water is now clean but the bowl won't empty. I tried putting one square of toilet paper in and it very slowly did go down. Normally it flushes very fast, with a "woosh" sound. Now that doesn't happen, and the water level is higher than normal. I'm in an apartment and would like to fix this myself if possible rather than calling maintenance. Any help would be appreciated, thanks! :)

Reach4

Reaction score
Get a 5 gallon bucket or similar plastic waste receptacle, and dump water down the hole from as high as you dare as fast as you dare. That might clear the suspected clog.

If that does not do it, try a "closet auger".

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I suspect you still have a clog. Just a word of advice. Do not use a chemical drain cleaner. They don't work on clogged toilets and if you end up having to get a professional to properly clear the clog, chemical cleaners create a hazard. If the clog is in the toilet trap, the closet auger may very well work. Sometimes if the auger fails to clear a clog, the toilet has to be pulled and the clog gone after from the other direction. Not a pleasant way to spend an afternoon and probably not something you would want to tackle DIY.

Reaction score
Thank you Gary, I suspect you're right. I've tried the bucket idea but it didn't work. I haven't used any chemicals, and will call maintenance to deal with it. Cheers! :)

Reaction score
I got it unclogged! Tried pouring the water in but that didn't work. But an auger did loosen the clog enough, then I used one of those bellows-type plungers and that did the trick. Now I'm left with metal scratch marks in the bowl that are hopefully not permanent. Thanks again for your help! :)

Reach4

Reaction score
I got it unclogged! Tried pouring the water in but that didn't work. But an auger did loosen the clog enough, then I used one of those bellows-type plungers and that did the trick. Now I'm left with metal scratch marks in the bowl that are hopefully not permanent.
Try a pumice block on the marks. Pumie is a popular brand.
b9f5b86b-2659-41a3-84ac-ed51be647397_145.jpg

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Congratulations on fixing it yourself!!

This is my favorite toilet plunger. The design makes a seal even in weird-shaped holes in the bottom of the hole like Toto has. It's a winner.

And when you plunge, we advise not to just give a few long push strokes, but rather to jackhammer it up and down and up and down while keeping the head of the plunger sealed against the porcelain. This rapid push-and-suck-and-push-and-suck does a lot more to quickly dislodge the clog than does forward pressure alone.

Rapid short strokes.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Korky-Beehive-Max-Toilet-Plunger-99-8A/203765220

korky-beehive-plunger.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks