Toto CST776CSFG#01 install questions

Users who are viewing this thread

BobJacobs

Reaction score
I am in the process of installing the 2 piece Toto CST776CSFG#01 toilet and I have two quick questions.

IMG_20230116_171710.jpg

(1) I had installed older models of the Toto Drake and I thought the outlet at the bottom is larger. This hole at the bottom of the bowl is about 2 inches, did the older models have larger diameter trap way and outlet diameter or am I mistaken?

IMG_20230116_171644.jpg

(2) The install manual says to tighten the tank bolts to the bowl until there are "three points of contact", left right and back. I am close but I can't get the tank to touch the top of the bowl by pushing down on the tank. See picture below. Now I can probably get it to bottom by using a socket wrench to crank on the nut but this is a brass nut and a metal washer on porcelain so I don't want to break it. Is this normal or am I missing something? I took the tank off to check the fill valve gasket and it is seated correctly so I don't think the issue is with the gasket. Should I crank it with a socket wrench until it bottoms or go as far as it will go and let it be even if it's not touching all three points?

IMG_20230117_210717.jpg

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Reach4

Reaction score
You ideally don't want to touch all 3, but maybe have a paper-thickness of space on one and touching on the others. This will prevent over-tightening.

You will need to tighten the nuts with a wrench to achieve this.

BobJacobs

Reaction score
The install instructions said ti make sure all three points touch. I am still a bit off and I already feel the nuts are too tight in a sense I heard the porcelain protesting as I tightened with a wrench and I don't dare continuing.

I wonder if I should remove the tank and take out the flush valve gasket and just squeeze it and work it a bit to make it more giving to allow the tank to settle more? I am not familiar with this gasket that feels like a foam I think I have always just used rubber gaskets.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Give it a little time you should be able to tighten them after a while.

Sometimes I'll dope the tank to bowl gasket so it'll slide a little.

No biggie either way.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
I'm not a big Toto fan, but one thing I'll say from experience, make absolutely sure you install the nuts/washers/seals on both sides of the tank before putting the tank onto the bowl, these tank-to-bowl nuts come with three sets of nuts/washers per bolt, unless they changed design recently.

Attempting to tighten the bolts without the nuts between tank/bowl can crack the tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks