Toto CST723 20 years of calcium build up - anyway to remove?

Users who are viewing this thread

Juliebob

Reaction score
We installed a Toto CST 723 toilet in 2002. It worked fine for about 15 years then over the last several years it has been clogging more and more often. We suspected hard water deposits in the trap, soaked it with CLR repeatedly for many hours and chipped off barnacle size chunks with a screwdriver.

This photo shows the calcium buildup in the trap, 1/2” thick in some spots!! So my questions are:

1. Have you seen this thick of a buildup before? Do you think the design of the toilet contributed to the problem? (We have a 30+ year old Toto 703 flushes fine)

2. Do you know of any options for removing a thick build up in the trap that can’t be reached by hand? Would soaking it in pure CLR for weeks or months dissolve it?

We are assuming the toilet is trash so are not concerned about hurting it at this point.

Toto CST 723.jpg

Thanks - Julie

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
I've seen it plenty.
I know you can get a temporary, cosmetically cleaner look using muriatic acid. It is not something that I recommend for two reasons.
1. Extremely dangerous to use and you should get all the water out first.
2. Results are very temporary and grow back fairly fast.

The build-up is in the trapway and causes friction, hence, the poorer flushing.
I hate to admit it but replacing is a much better choice. On the low end, Toto Entrada is decent, and right-height.
For nearly the same money, American Standard Cadet 3 Flowise at HD is right-height, has the 'special' finish to prevent build up (I don't believe it but will see), and flushes like a champ. (I swapped out a Toto Drake with the ongoing build-up and am very happy with the Cadet 3). Throw away the seat they give you.

Plant.One

Just here for the Beer.
Reaction score
you got your moneys worth out of it with 20 years of service.

just replace it before you spend $100 attempting to repair a $200 problem and still end up replacing the toilet in the end anyway.

because then you've thrown $300 at a $200 problem. instead of just doing it right the first time.

Reaction score
We have a toto toilet. Several years ago, we had some blockage and I removed the toilet. I had to chisel off the white almost rock like deposits where the toilet exits into the drain pipe . We used to not flush urine at night so as to not wake up the spouse. Someone here conjectured the rock like material was likely urine spilling over from the toilet at night each time it was peed into. The accumulation was calcified material from the urine over time..... just a thought....

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Last edited:

Juliebob

Reaction score
Seen it many times with toilets that aren't flushed at night.

let_it_mellow.jpg

A new CST723 Promenade for around 2004

CST723_zoom.jpg
Thanks you. Very useful information. We always try to save water but not flushing pee and had never heard it could be a problem! Time for a new toilet!

Juliebob

Reaction score
I've seen it plenty.
I know you can get a temporary, cosmetically cleaner look using muriatic acid. It is not something that I recommend for two reasons.
1. Extremely dangerous to use and you should get all the water out first.
2. Results are very temporary and grow back fairly fast.

The build-up is in the trapway and causes friction, hence, the poorer flushing.
I hate to admit it but replacing is a much better choice. On the low end, Toto Entrada is decent, and right-height.
For nearly the same money, American Standard Cadet 3 Flowise at HD is right-height, has the 'special' finish to prevent build up (I don't believe it but will see), and flushes like a champ. (I swapped out a Toto Drake with the ongoing build-up and am very happy with the Cadet 3). Throw away the seat they give you.
Thank you very much. Good to learn new information and know I've done all I can to fix it. We always try to save water but not flushing pee and had never heard it could be a problem! I appreciate your suggestions on models. I think we paid $200 twenty years ago, now they ask $700 or more.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The TOTO Drake CST776CEG has the good bowl finish, standard height
Drake CST776CEFG, good bowl finish and universal height.

cst776cefg-terrylove-07.jpg

Installed this on in Seattle yesterday.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks