Toto Carrollton Flush and Fill Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

RonnyK

Reaction score
Hi,

I just installed my new Carrollton toilet (love the look) and wanted to run a few things by those in the know here.

Flushing -- The flapper appears well-adjusted based upon the length of the chain, but a simple flip of the flush lever doesn't cause the entire (or most of the) water in the tank to exit. If you hold the lever down, of course, you can get a "full tank flush." Is this by design?

Filling -- How long should the GMax fill valve take to fill the tank? Mine arrived clogged with debris. I know because I flushed my water line before connecting. Disassembling and cleaning seems to have rectified the problem (i.e. it now fills) but it seems somewhat slow. 16 seconds to refill from a quick flush; 40 seconds or so to fill the empty tank.

Thanks,

Ronny K.

cst774s-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Flushing -- The flapper appears well-adjusted based upon the length of the chain, but a simple flip of the flush lever doesn't cause the entire (or most of the) water in the tank to exit. If you hold the lever down, of course, you can get a "full tank flush." Is this by design?

Yes this is by design. The amount of water that leaves the tank is the amount the toilet is designed to flush with. You will find that it flushes very well with that amount.

-- How long should the GMax fill valve take to fill the tank? Mine arrived clogged with debris. I know because I flushed my water line before connecting. Disassembling and cleaning seems to have rectified the problem (i.e. it now fills) but it seems somewhat slow. 16 seconds to refill from a quick flush; 40 seconds or so to fill the empty tank.

The fill valve is not shipped with debris by Toto I assure you...
The debris is coming from your supply system...
I suspect that your agle stop valve may be failing and is supplying the debris.
15 seconds may be about right depending on your supplied water pressure.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Hi,

a simple flip of the flush lever doesn't cause the entire (or most of the) water in the tank to exit.
This has been true for many many years ( 1990) . A tank which only held 1.6 gallons would be the size of a gallon of milk, plus 2 qts. Tiny. The low gallon is achieved by NOT flushing all the water.

If you hold the lever down, of course, you can get a "full tank flush."
This of course is against the law, and could get you a vist from algore.

Ronny K.

Welcome to the world. Do you have your new no-lead faucets yet?

RonnyK

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies (the sarcasm, not so much). I live in a 1920's home (and have since 1993) and have never bought a new toilet. I also guess I never used a toilet with a 3" flush valve, which explains why the water exits so quickly.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Old toilets worked with high volume...new ones high velocity. The better ones actually work better with less water. Depending on the model, the issue sometimes is the quality of the bowl wash, since there's no anywhere near as much water flowing over the sides of the bowl.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
In a 1920's home, you might have old galvanized pipe.
Anytime I shut down an old home like that, it can loosen up crud from the pipes.
Copper or PEX is better for that.

Or it could be the supply line, the Watts Floodsafe will shut itself off with some toilets.

Like mentioned above, only a little water will be needed from the tank, but it would look kind of silly to have a tank that small.
The Carrollton tank has a nice lid that will fit things, almost like a second vanity.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks