Toto Carlyle (original, not carlyle 2) questions about flush... also upgrade?

Users who are viewing this thread

speeder

Reaction score
bought a house with original TOTO carlyle one piece skirted toilets and planning for a renovation

question for those who have experience with this toilet. when flushing, you have to hold down the lever for a complete flush until it's finished flushing. if not, then you get about half a flush. as soon as the lever is released, the flapper closes tight. Is this the correct operation for these toilets? or some adjustment/parts replacement is necessary. I've adjusted the fill height to just above the line on the fill tube. This is in about a 15 year old house.

would it be better if i just replaced these toilets with newer ones? I have to take them out anyway to replace the floor tile.

thanks for any advice.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
So what you're saying is that they will flush anything you put down it with 1.6 gallons of water and you want to flush with 3.0 gallons of water.
You see that water still in the tank and it's making you sad that it's not like the old five gallon toilets that needed five gallons to flush with. The newer toilets are flushing with 1.28 gallons, so you're going to be really disappointed with them. Some crazy engineer came up with a way to use less water, way less then grandma needed when she was a child during Roaring 20's.
I remember my mother telling me about the time the salesman came to the farm and showed them a gas operated machine that washed clothes. Way better than by hand like they had been doing. noisy, but by golly it was a machine and they wouldn't have to hand wash and use the wringer anymore.
And electricity was cool too. They had kerosene lamps, but then they brought electricity to the farm, and she helped her father to run wires to lights.
What I like about the place was the cider press in front for the apple orchard they had. The yard with the chickens was a bit messy to walk in though, with all the chicken poo. Barefoot through there was a bit odd for a kid.

terry-1958-horse.jpg

The way toilets were made changed in 1992 when they went to 1.6 gallons
Now Washington and California are at 1.28 gallons, which will flush 1,000 grams. What the heck are you trying to flush anyway?

abak_carlyle.jpg

Last edited:

speeder

Reaction score
@Terry. not paying you by the word. haha. Thanks for giving me a laugh!! :D

one of the trades clogged the one toilet I had left hooked up, and not having used this toilet before, I thought that the flapper should stay open until all the water was evacuated from the tank, and the entire tank would be 1.6 gallons...not 1/2 the tank.

I did expect that the 1.6 gal flush is better than any of the newer 1.28, but couldn't find any info online to confirm that my toilet is operating correctly.

thanks for your roundabout way of confirming that!

best plumbing forum on the net!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Just like a water tower holds water that creates pressure when released, essentially storing the energy used to pump it in there in the first place, the tank on modern toilets does the same thing...the height of the water in the tank creates more dynamic pressure when the water is released, which allows it to flush with less. Remember those old toilets? You dumped a huge amount of water into the bowl, and once it got deep enough, it caused it to then flow out of the bowl. In (most) modern toilets, there’s a siphon jet that aims a smaller, high velocity water stream down the drain to start the siphon nearly immediately, so it can use much less water to evacuate the bowl. The downside to all of this is that there’s less water flowing over the sides of the bowl to help keep them clean. Toto’s special glaze and the rimless design helps by swirling the water it does use around the bowl, rather than relying rim holes to spread out and do it for you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks