Toto Carlyle II - dripping echo sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Toronto Tim

Reaction score
Hello

I found this forum while searching for an issue I've been having with a new Toto Carlyle II.....hoping you can offer some insight.

here's is what I've been dealing with:

• brand new bathroom reno (full gut and rebuild) replaced 15 year old Toto one piece with new Carlyle II
  • flush it.....it fills and pump shuts off no problem....but then it's followed by a dripping echo sound for about 15 seconds....sounds like the toilet is dripping on the floor from within the bottom part of the toilet
  • pour anywhere from 200-800 ml of water into the full bowl (to emulate using it) and the same thing happens....15 seconds of dripping echo sound
  • contact Toto and they say 1st step is to replace adapter.....we do that and does not correct issue
  • Toto then replaces toilet with a brand new one.....not as bad, but condition still exists
so the VP level guys from Toto contact me and describe the condition as an “acoustic” issue based on the open-back of the toilet facing hard surfaces and literally amplifying a sound that would normally not be noticeable.....say the toilet is operating as it should, and that we should insulate the open-back of the toilet to resolve....and they send their preferred guy out to the house

and when he arrived, the toilet would not make the sound....tried for an hour and nothing......so we agreed to just leave it

2 days later....the sound is back

so....I have a few questions and hoping you can help
  1. have any of you experienced this issue?
  2. did you insulate the open back section of the toilet?
  3. what did you use?
  4. did it resolve the issue?
I apologize for the long read, and appreciate any insight you can offer

thank you

Tim

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's normal...don't worry about it. Somewhere along the line, Toto did add a bit more insulation to the UniFit adapter, but unlike most toilets, when you use the UniFit adapter, a good portion of the trap is plastic. The porcelain on most others insulates the water flow noises much more, so while they, too, are dribbling a little water out trying to equalize the bowl water height, with a UniFit adapter, you can hear it if you listen carefully.

You can hear it, too, when you're adding things to the toilet prior to flushing.

That's also one reason why cast iron drain pipes are still considered premium...they are quieter than PVC or ABS.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks