Toto Carlyle Dribbling Noises

Users who are viewing this thread

Kahuna

Reaction score
Terry -- you may have encountered this several times in the past but I can't find a message and solution among the various messages. I just installed 2 Toto Carlyle toilets. Everything seems to work fine except one thing. Sometimes (not always) when adding liquid to the toilet bowl we hear a dripping sound from under the toilet, like a glass of water being trickled in underneath.... then I flush... it goes through the routine rather fine, the sounds all stop, and voila! there is the dripping sound again sometime later when seated on the toilet. This seems to occur on both toilets I just installed. We see no leaks anywhere and can't really detect water migrating from the tank to the bowl.

I called TOTO tech. support. We don't think it is the flapper and the fill valve is one possible culprit but not sure. Even when turning off the stop valve we sometimes get the sound. TOTO is sending me a new fill valve to replace the original one.

Has ANYONE had a similar situation,and do you have a fix? There is no reason that I know of why the dripping (which is a constant dripping for 3-10 seconds, not a drop...drop...drop...) should be there. It doesn't take but a very small amount of liquid going into the bowl to initiate this dripping sound.
something is wrong and your help is more than appreciated!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
toto_cst854_inside_tank.jpg

The black fill tube puts water into the bowl after a flush.

As the bowl fills, water goes over the dam, so to speak.
The water you hear, is the bowl being overfilled, which all toilets do, but most have porcelain trapways.
The Carlyle uses a plastic one, therefore you hear it more.

Kahuna

Reaction score
Terry -- thanks for your response and, I suppose, you are probably correct as to the reasons for the noise. I just can't figure out why, with owning two different Carlyle toilets in the past, we didn't encounter this "problem" with them. I checked the toilets to see if they were level (they were) and tried lowering the water level in the tank, all to no avail. So -- if anyone comes up with an idea I'm willing to try it. Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Any overflow should stop less than a minute after the fill valve shuts off. You will also normally hear it overflow when you add stuff. From what I've seen (and I have one Carlyle in myhome), this is normal for that (and most) toilets.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks