Toto Aquia Install Issues

Users who are viewing this thread

AnnoyedTotoOwner

Reaction score
So I've had it up to here with this rediculous toilet. I've installed dozens of toilets in my time and never had problems like this.

So the latest issue (the last one was the wrong size pilot holes given in the install instructions) is that the rubber gasket that comes with the Aquia tank leaks like a sieve. I just tried installing a wide standard rubber/foam gasket and the thing still is leaking.

Has anyone figured out how to put this toilet together so it actually works without leaking? If so, please tell me how you did the tank-to-bowl gasekt.

Thanks.

ATO

Complete Instructions for the Aquia written by Jamie

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
When we install the dual flush Aquia, we sand the inside of the tank where the bolts fit through.
The tank needs to be tightened bit by bit, side by side.
Any unevenness does not work.

If that doesn't work, I would consider removing the flush valve and sanding the inside of the tank there too. That would be rare though.

The dual flush does take more time to install and I now charge more to install them.

AnnoyedTotoOwner

Reaction score
Thanks, Terry! Use Toto Stock Gasket??

Thanks for your response. I have two follow-up questions if you don't mind . . .

First, are you saying that in your experience the leaking comes from the bolts and not the gasket? If so, I can try using even smaller side-to-side adjustments as I tighten the tank to the bowl.

Second, are you completing your installs with the Toto provided gasket? Based on the amount of water that leaked on my install, it appeared that it was the gasket - and not the bolts - that was leaking.

Thanks again! Great plumbing forum.

ATO

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you think it's coming from the gasket, I would go ahead and pull the tank,
Pull the flush valve, using large pliers, and sand everything smooth.

The stock gasket works fine.

Last edited:

parump

Reaction score
We have installed three aquias in our home. In fact, we renovated a bathroom to accommodate the aquia toilet. The most recent toilet which was purchased six months ago initially leaked through the rubber washers mounted on the retention bolts between the tank and bowl. I diligently sanded the tank surfaces and the leaks continued. I eventually stopped the leak by tightening the nuts for the bolts until the tank was flush with the stops on the bowl surface. I noticed the rubber washers of the new toilet appear to be smaller than those included with the toilets purchased last year. I am wondering if this is why some people are experiencing leaks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If some are having leaks, most likely they are not sanding inside the tank, and they need to evenly turn the mounting screws until the tank is mounted tightly.
They do take more time, but they also work and look real nice too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks