Toto Aimes vs Aquia IV vs Legato

Users who are viewing this thread

Deanclean

Reaction score
Hello all,
I cant believe how much trouble I am having choosing a toilet. I never thought there would be so many options. There has been lots of great information on this forum and I have enjoyed reading many of the posts. We are finishing our basement and looking at toilets for the bathroom down there. I am not too particular when it comes to toilets. I want it to flush well and don't really care about looks. My wife likes the looks of the Aimes, Aquia IV, and the Legato. I see there are issues with the water spot and frequent cleaning of these, but is there one standout of these three toilets? Price is not a big factor. Some of the posts I read on the Aquia are quite a few years old so maybe the newer ones are better? anyway, its good to be a part of the forum and any help would be appreciated.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
I hate the Aquia and will not install because of: small water spot and real stupid floor mount plastic blocks.
I am so happy with my recent American Standard Cadet 3 Flowise Right Height 1.28 GPF or any super similar.
I have had it for seven months and it has never balked at flushing anything I throw at it. Was under $200 in 2021, now over $200.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I like the Aimes and the Legato from TOTO.
Nice style and they work very well. They come with the Unifit adapter which allows a change to 10" or 14" if desired. A 1.28 GPF bowl with the swirl rinse.
Better quality control than many of the other brands too.

legato_01.jpg

blackcomb_aimes.jpg

This picture was taken in Vancouver, British Columbia.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I hate the Aquia and will not install because of: small water spot and real stupid floor mount plastic blocks.
I've installed hundreds of them, and have the proper tools and the skill set for them, not everyone does I guess from the postings from other plumbers. I'm the plumbing wizard though, and my son Jamie also does a killer job installing them too.

We also do installs for builder grade toilets like American Standard too.

The Aquia bowl is more shallow than the bowls set up for 1.28, more of a European setup. They do work well though.

aquia-4-500.jpg

Deanclean

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. It sounds like all 3 would be a good option it just comes down to preference. Does anyone know what “flush” is best? One is the DYNAMAX TORNADO FLUSH® And one is just Tornado Flush.

Deanclean

Reaction score
I prefer the bowls that are single flush 1.28
Great thank you. I was thinking just single flush too. I don’t know the difference of the dynamax tornado flush and just tornado flush but I have a feeling one is just more economical with the water.

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. It sounds like all 3 would be a good option it just comes down to preference. Does anyone know what “flush” is best? One is the DYNAMAX TORNADO FLUSH® And one is just Tornado Flush.
Dynamax is the bad one with no siphon jet.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I have 3 older Totos in my house, one of which uses the Unifit system. I like the Unifit system because it makes it really easy to pull and replace the toilet (say, if you want to paint behind it). You don't have to mess with wax rings to do so.

You do need to be able to drill some holes in your floor tiles when you install the Unifit adapter, so you may need a ceramic bit, but not a big deal in my amateur experience.

Reach4

Reaction score
Drilling ceramic is not a very big deal, but drilling porcelain is.

Deanclean

Reaction score
Thanks @Reach4 and @SteveW i think we are going with the Legato. I don’t know if it is unifit or not but it’s got the Tornado flush and my wife likes the look. It’s either that or the wall hung RP unit. The basement is completely unfinished so the plumber should have no trouble installing a toilet from scratch. I say he should have no trouble but who knows. They are a reputable company and he is familiar with Toto’s so that’s a good start.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks