Toto 10" Rough-in Toilet vs 12" with unifit

Users who are viewing this thread

giantshark18

Reaction score
Hi,

I need to purchase a toilet that will fit a 10" rough in (center of hole is 10.7" from wall to be exact) and I am looking at either the Toto Aquia Dual Flush Toilet (CST412MF.10No.01), or the Drake 1.28 (CST744EFN.10).

What I am not clear on is does a 10" Aquai or Drake function as well as 12" versions of these models, but with unifit? Is there a place I can view MAP rating for different Toto models?

I know the two piece toilets do not come with seats, but what about Aquai?

Thanks for your insights.
Justin

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
They work as well as the 12".

The Drake doesn't use a Unifit. It's just molded to sit on a 10" rough-in. The Aquia uses a mounting piece, but it, too, is not a Unifit. The toilet itself is made to fit on 10".

Spec sheet for Aquia: https://terrylove.com/pdf/cst412mf.10.pdf
It clearly shows that the 412 Aquia comes without a seat. One of the recommended seats is the Toto SS114, which is a nice hard plastic seat. We love ours.

The original Drake has the option of Toto's original Drake tank or with a new-style tank. They look different. However, because they both use the same bowl, they perform the same. The model number you quoted is with the new tank. With the old tank, it's CST744EF.10

Original tank:
CST744E_main.jpg

Optional new tank:
cst744en.jpg

Don't worry about the MAP ratings. Both the Drake and the Aquia are winners. Terry sells a ton of Aquias and people just come back for more. The Drake is a proven product with an excellent flush that sells and sells and sells. Bowl wash might be a little better on the Aquia, but the water spot on the Aquia is a little smaller. That's one of the tradeoffs between the two designs.

Any MAP above 500 is fine, which both of these are. http://www.map-testing.com/ The 10" Aquia is greater than 800, the 10" ADA Drake greater than 1000.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Only Toto's toilets with a skirt (and then, not all of them) are designed to work with the Unifit adapter, which is a Toto exclusive device and only fits certain models. If you should choose one of those, the exact same toilet with no modifications will fit on either 10, 12, or 14" rough-ins, assuming you get the proper adapter (it comes with the 12" one, if you need 10 or 14, you have to buy that separately). The inventor of the MAPP test says anything over 500 is pretty meaningless. Manufacturers have learned how to make theirs look good at flushing the plastic wrapped paste used in that test. That does not always correlate with real-world performance.

JerryR

Reaction score
I have both a 10" and 12" Drake installed in one of my homes. Both are elongated Universal height.

The 10" rough flush is a little less aggressive, maybe by 10%. I thought it was because it had a 1.28 gallon tank and the 12" had a 1.6 gallon tank so I swapped the tanks between the 2 toilets and there was no change in flush power. The 10" was very slightly less aggressive.

When I measured bowl seat height, the 12" rough in is 1/2" higher than the 10" rough Drake.

Saying this, both do a great job, great value and have MAP ratings >1000.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks