Toto 10" CST746 2" from wall

Users who are viewing this thread

DRM

Reaction score
I had a Toto 746 10" installed & it was 2" from the wall at the top of the tank, which looked quite odd. My rough is 10.5" and the specs for the 746 indicate that it would be 3/4'' from the wall with a 10" rough. So with my 10.5 rough I was expecting 1 1/4" from the top of the tank to the wall, but at 2" it looks kind of odd. Along with the other problems with the 746, I'm hoping the 12" 746 will work, even if very close to the wall.

The installer of the 10" 746 said he nudged the toilet a little closer to the wall when it was installed so I'm hoping the 12" will fit, with easing back away from the wall and the specs for the 776 showing an additional 1/16" in back of the top of the tank compared to the 746 (3/4 inch for 746 and 13/16 inch for the 12" 776). I'm ok with a tight fit if needs be, but want to be sure this will fit and I haven't overlooked something. Appreciate your help.

1645114646436.png
1645114755391.png

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
is the floor and bowl level? if that bowl leans one way or other it changes the gap on tank

DRM

Reaction score
is the floor and bowl level? if that bowl leans one way or other it changes the gap on tank

Yes the wall is level. The photo is of the 10" 746 installed. Can I assume that the 12" 776 with a slightly larger spec distance from the wall (13/16 vs 3/4"), and easing on the bolt will have a fit, even if very close to the wall? Really appreciate any feedback as I really want the 776, but to install another 10" like and get the 2"+, is not a good look. Thanks for your help! Terry if you could weigh in I would really appreciate the wisdom of your experience.
1645154216744.png

Yes the wall is level. The photo is of the 10" 746 installed. Can I assume that the 12" 776 with a slightly larger spec distance from the wall (13/16 vs 3/4"), and easing on the bolt will have a fit, even if very close to the wall? Really appreciate any feedback as I really want the 776, but to install another 10" like and get the 2"+, is not a good look. Thanks for your help! Terry if you could weigh in I would really appreciate the wisdom of your experience.

Jphomeowner

Reaction score
My response is from a homeowner perspective. Why are builders and plumbers stating the tank should be against the wall. It will be harder to paint behind it. If an exterior wall, in a older home, cold air could increase chance of condensation. Your picture showing a 2 inch gap...looks perfectly find to me. So why do you think it is an issue. So cliché "standard". My toilet, circa 1965, the tank lid hits the wall. I am considering a 10 inch rough in but I know that will be more $ and limit my choices.

Reach4

Reaction score
My response is from a homeowner perspective. Why are builders and plumbers stating the tank should be against the wall. It will be harder to paint behind it. If an exterior wall, in a older home, cold air could increase chance of condensation. Your picture showing a 2 inch gap...looks perfectly find to me. So why do you think it is an issue. So cliché "standard". My toilet, circa 1965, the tank lid hits the wall. I am considering a 10 inch rough in but I know that will be more $ and limit my choices.
If the toilet tank is 2 inches away from the wall, that takes away about 1.5 inches of walk space in the bathroom. If the bathroom is small, 1.5 inches may be significant.

Also closer looks better. But you do bring up a good point about a gap giving you more room to paint without lifting the toilet.

Regarding the lid hitting the wall, is that only if the lid slides toward the wall, vs being centered on the tank? If so, there are ways to keep the lid from sliding toward the wall if you so desire.

Jphomeowner

Reaction score
If the toilet tank is 2 inches away from the wall, that takes away about 1.5 inches of walk space in the bathroom. If the bathroom is small, 1.5 inches may be significant.

Also closer looks better. But you do bring up a good point about a gap giving you more room to paint without lifting the toilet.

Regarding the lid hitting the wall, is that only if the lid slides toward the wall, vs being centered on the tank? If so, there are ways to keep the lid from sliding toward the wall if you so desire.
Yes you lose 2 inches or less of space. Could DRM, just not measured correctly, again he brought a 10 inch offset where 12 inches is the common offset for most bathrooms. I think the 2 inches or whatever his picture showed , looks good. AS for my 1965 American Standard, "antique", I was able to slid in a piece of printer paper between tank and wall. For cost , number of choices, I probably will stay with 12 inch offset.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks