Toto 1 Piece leaks from Plastic P-Trap

Users who are viewing this thread

avellino

Reaction score
I have installed many toilets over the years, but this one has me a little confused. This is a 1 piece model, with a plastic offset P-Trap, that connects the toilete to the lead / brass flange on the floor. I connected the Plastic offset (P-TRAP) to the brass flange, obviously with a wax seal, tightened the bolts. After I slipped on the toilet, when I flush, it leaks a very small amount of water on the right side, not the left. I removed the toilet and left the PVC-TRAP connected to the brass flange, and poured water through the PVC-TRAP myself, no leaks. Slipped the toilet back into the PVC trap, leaked again, "ONLY" on the right side. The PVC offset / P-trap has not been drilled into the tile, but with the tightening of the brass flange bolts, it doesn't move either. Is it possible, that the cermaic tile is uneven, causing the toilete to not slip in properly into the plastic PVC trap, causing the leak "or" do I have a defective toilete?

It is impossible to look at exactly where the leak is coming from against the plastic offset, given the limited amount of space....Perhaps I can put a little mirror there or a ridgid mini camera, but has anyone seen this issue with these types of toilets because I would like to know what I am looking for

Thoughts appreciated

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I presume you mean the Toto Unifit adapter, which is an offset, but not a trap. Anyway, they are very popular. Is the adapter sitting level and plumb? Does the toilet sit level when placed down on the floor?

avellino

Reaction score
Ceramic Tile

The tile was installed by a jack of all trades, and def "not" level. I had to massively shim, then caulk to stabilize because it kept moving..do you think this may very well be the cause?

avellino

Reaction score
Correct ..the toto unifit adapter. If I remove the toilet and pour water through the unifit adaptor...I see no leaking, please the toilet back in, after a few flushes a small stream of water begins to run on the right side. Always on the right ...the floor was completely unleveled, and I did my best to level the toilet out (shim) .then I caulked it to stop it from moving ..but the leak..I am running out of ideas

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You do not caulk a toilet to stop it from moving. If it moves, it is not installed correctly. The purpose of shimming is to provide a solid base so that the toilet will not move. Caulking is to prevent water spilled on the floor from running under the toilet and to contain a leak from the wax ring seal. If the toilet moves, it will break the seal and the toilet will leak sewer gas, water, or both. This is true with any toilet, whether Unifit adapter or conventional. Set the toilet on the adapter without a wax ring, see where the shims need to be, then set the toilet with the wax ring.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
The Unifit adapter needs to be secured to the floor, if you are shimming the right side too much that would explain the leak.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the toilet sits at a large angle to the Unifit adapter, it may not be making a good seal with the toilet, when it is set in place. There is a little flex in that rubber gasket, but it is designed where the floor is relatively flat, or at least in relation to the toilet. Make sure that that rubber gasket has not been dislodged from the bottom of the toilet. Also, make sure it is sliding over the Unifit adapter and not getting bunched up. This normally isn't an issue when things are relatively level.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks