Toto 1.6GpF Toilet Sits Idle After Flush for 45 Seconds, Then Refills !

Users who are viewing this thread

DMY

Reaction score
After each flush, it does not refill at all until the 45 second mark, then all of a sudden it wakes up and refills.

History: I had trouble with water hammering on this toilet line, so I put in a Sioux Chief Arrester. This fixed the loud water hammer issue. However, I then had a problem with the toilet filling is loud spurts until it filled. I was advised on this forum to control the water pressure for this- so I turned the water pressure down. Now, no matter where I set my water pressure knob, I get this issue - the toilet sits idle for 45 seconds, then refills. Yikes ! Any ideas very welcome !

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the toilet is using the fill valve made for them by Korky, replace the seal cap. It takes about 2-minutes and requires no tools (maybe longer the first time you do it). This will happen if your water pressure is high moderately quickly, but eventually, will happen on any of them. The seal gets stiffer, and eventually will crack and leak, but prior to that, you'll get the symptom you are seeing. If you don't have that valve, not sure what the fix is.

That cap is generally available at any plumbing supply store, and some of the big box stores (and online). Cost is in the $3 range, and it's really the only wear device in the valve, so replacing should restore it to as new functionality.

Last edited by a moderator:

guido

Reaction score
I have a couple toto st 743 e, and on one of them the fill valve keeps going after it's full.

I've looked at some youtube videos. One suggested to clean it, and I've done that. I got as far as

1. taking off the clipped hose
  2. taking off the green cap
  3. twisting the the next part till the plastic piece with hose came off
  4. gotten the pipe thing out with a green insert
  5. Cleaned all those items
  6. Let some water through without the items, holding a cup over it.
But the result is no difference, it keeps hissing, keeps letting in water.

Is this fill valve a goner or am I not looking at the right thing?

If I have to replace it, how do I know the right one to order?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You should be able to replace the cap seal. It's underneath the float. Press the clips and lift the float out, then, you can access the seal cap. If you go to www.korky.com there's a video that shows how to do it. The instructions are also on the package. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Korky-Replacement-Cap-Assembly-for-Fill-Valve-R528CM/202666007

Double-check the video on the Korky site, and if yours looks the same, that cap should solve your problem.

$4 for a new seal, or 3-4x that to replace the valve...I'd replace the seal, it's quicker and easier.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks