Total Vespin II Install Issue: Tank cover doesn't fit (shelf support in the way).

Users who are viewing this thread

Spacepod

Reaction score
Hi there,

Ok, I have another issue. I got the Toto Vespin II installed and man, it feels like a Ferrari of toilets in my bathroom. Ok, maybe a Lexus LFA. Anyhoot, I have a 13 3/4" rough, so I used the 14" Unifit adaptor for the install. This put the toilet very close to the wall, and somehow the Vespin fit onto the gasket from the Unifit (I tripled-checked because I was worried about leaks). Flushing tests have been fine (no leaks apparent) but one minor issue, the toilet tank cover won't slide back far enough to seat on to the top of the tank! It looks like a small wood piece, maybe 1" x 18" as a shelf support is in the way.

Question, is there such a thing as a 'low-profile' tank cover for the Vespin II? I'm about to Google it but thought I'd ask here. I guess I could remove the support but that seems risky.

I do like how far back the toilet sits, and it really maximizes the space. No longer do I have to sit with the towels. Also, where can I get those plastic shims, and how worried should I be about making the bowl perfectly level? I used some of that self-hardening putty to get the toilet closer to level, and it's nice coz I can hide it pretty well and caulk around it later and once I am sure there are no leaks.

By the way this was my first toilet-install. While relocating the supply line scared me off (I hired a pro for that), I found the installation to be pretty easy, except not knowing what I don't know and having to make an extra trip to the hardware store for supplies (wax ring, new flex hose, etc.).

Thanks much,

SpacePod

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can't say for sure about a different cover, but my guess is no. I think you will need to do a little remodeling of the shelf. As far as plastic shims are concerned, probably the best ones are door shims from a building center. They're a composite material and work well. Are you really sure you need to shim? The toilet does not have to set with a level bubble exactly centered. The main reason to shim is to compensate for an uneven floor which allows the toilet to rock. Now, you don't want to have the thing so left-right off level that you feel like you going to roll off. so don't take my advice to an extreme. Most plumber prefer to shim the back of the toilet if shimming is necessary. Your comments about the installation make me think you OK without shims, but you should caulk around the base so water spilled on the floor does not get under the toilet. Caulking also helps solidify the toilet.

Spacepod

Reaction score
I can't say for sure about a different cover, but my guess is no. I think you will need to do a little remodeling of the shelf. As far as plastic shims are concerned, probably the best ones are door shims from a building center. They're a composite material and work well. Are you really sure you need to shim? The toilet does not have to set with a level bubble exactly centered. The main reason to shim is to compensate for an uneven floor which allows the toilet to rock. Now, you don't want to have the thing so left-right off level that you feel like you going to roll off. so don't take my advice to an extreme. Most plumber prefer to shim the back of the toilet if shimming is necessary. Your comments about the installation make me think you OK without shims, but you should caulk around the base so water spilled on the floor does not get under the toilet. Caulking also helps solidify the toilet.

Thanks for the reply, Gary!

I've been thinking about this, and yeah I came to the same conclusion. I was just going to remove the shelf but I know it's there for a reason. I've also noticed that the rear of the tank cover is rounded, and that is likely what's hitting the shelf support, so I am going to cover the tank in aluminum foil and just dremel it down with a wood-rasp attachment until it fits. This way the shelf-support that needs to be there is there. Failing that, I'll remove the shelf-support entirely and just put different shelf-supports around the tank cover. It's not like I need to hold up much weight apart from the caulked-in shelf itself and a few old and disused cologne bottles. :)

Thanks for the advice on the shims. Turns out, the toilet is good! It was only slightly off-level and I don't 'feel' any imbalance when on it. It's really a great toilet, and it does seem to have a sort of dual-flush feature depending how hard one depresses the handle.

Spacepod

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
When installing a toilet, having a 1" piece of wood on the wall is going to cause problems.

Remove the wood spacer and you should be fine.

Spacepod

Reaction score
When installing a toilet, having a 1" piece of wood on the wall is going to cause problems.

Remove the wood spacer and you should be fine.

Well, the screws in the shelf-support were too hard to remove for various reasons (lack of access, painted screws, stripping) so I used a Dremel with gritty sandpaper drum and spent about 40 minutes carving some space. Worked great, except now I just have to repaint the wood so it's not exposed to moisture.

Cover fits fine now! :)

Spacepod

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks