Total head calculation

Users who are viewing this thread

RonL1

Reaction score
Even though I just replaced my submersible pump, I wouldlike to know my head and from what I see online it's a bit confusing.
If I'm running a high of 60 psi through 1 inch pipes, with 4 elbows. Pump is 40 feet down. Static water level is 24 feet down. 55 feet of level pipe from well head to pressure tank.
Thanks for the help.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
60 PSI is the same as 138' of head. Add the 24' lift from the water level and you get 162' of Total Head. You can add in some friction loss for the pipe and fittings. But you need to know the flow rate, size, length, and class of the pipe and fittings. For example 10 GPM through 100' of sch 40 PVC will have about 2 PSI or add 4'-5' of head to make the Total Dynamic Head or TDH 167'.

RonL1

Reaction score
60 PSI is the same as 138' of head. Add the 24' lift from the water level and you get 162' of Total Head. You can add in some friction loss for the pipe and fittings. But you need to know the flow rate, size, length, and class of the pipe and fittings. For example 10 GPM through 100' of sch 40 PVC will have about 2 PSI or add 4'-5' of head to make the Total Dynamic Head or TDH 167'.
Great ! Thank you. Now if I could find a flow curve chart for this pump. Doesn't seem to be online countryline 1/2 hp 10 gpm 230v. 2 wire

RonL1

Reaction score
Should be looking at the 10GS05 which will be about 11 GPM at 167'.
I would if I hadn't just put the new pump down the hole. It forced my hand. But I should have known it was comming as it acted a bit funny a couple months ago... where it ran a 1/2 amps for about 10minutes, then reverted back. Thought it was a loose wire ... should have just ordered back then... but was actually hoping to make it to fall when Temps would be lower. Instead of doing it in 95 degrees. But isn't that how it always works ?

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you now have the information that you were looking for?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I would if I hadn't just put the new pump down the hole. It forced my hand. But I should have known it was comming as it acted a bit funny a couple months ago... where it ran a 1/2 amps for about 10minutes, then reverted back. Thought it was a loose wire ... should have just ordered back then... but was actually hoping to make it to fall when Temps would be lower. Instead of doing it in 95 degrees. But isn't that how it always works ?
I meant just look at the curve for the Goulds as it should be the same for any 1/2HP, 10 gpm pump.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Tractor supply for a cla200 pump 115vac lists GPH at a certain foot and a downloadable install manual that is detailed lists amps and service factor amps for both 115 & 230 vac.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
The head equivalent of 60 PSI is 138'. Total Head is calculated by multiplying the 24' lift from the water's surface by 162'. The pipe and fittings might have extra friction loss added. The size, length, and type of the pipe and fittings, however, must be known. As an illustration, 10 GPM through 100' of sch 40 PVC will have around 2 PSI or add 4–5' of head to create the Total Dynamic Head or TDH 167'.
I think your Math is wrong ADD 24 to 162 dont multiply .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks