Tool for removing 3 inch flush valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

John_

Reaction score
Not sure whether this post should be here or on the toilet forum, but decided to start here.

I have a Toto Drake II toilet that has a leaking 3 inch flush valve. The PVC/plastic nut that holds the flush valve to the tank is 3.5 inches wide. I am having trouble finding a wrench with a wide enough opening to remove the nut from the bottom of the tank. Of course, I'd rather not destroy the thing by using pliers or a wrench with serrated jaws.

Any solution for your average home owner without purchasing a hard-to-find tool for what is likely a one time use? What would a professional plumber use?

Last edited by a moderator:

John_

Reaction score
Channel Lock brand has a 16inch plier (model #460) whose jaw opening is wide enough but jaws are serrated. Probably doesn't really matter if the fitting gets slightly mangled.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Sometimes I just use what I have around the house and in the case of serrated jaws, I might put some tape on it. Other times, I might make a single use socket out of some ABS or PVC pipe and a heat gun. I might even resort to using a hand screw wood clamp as a spanner.

wooden_hand_clamp.jpg

John_

Reaction score
I thought about making a "wrench" out of some plywood I have, but the clamp idea may be just the ticket. Good idea!

Let me add that Toto customer service is responsive and a replacement valve is on its way to me. The tech I spoke with commented that leaking flush valves are very rare and suspects that the tank could be defective. My hope is that I only have to snug the fitting down.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks