Too much amperage

Users who are viewing this thread

tyclo43

Reaction score
I recently put a 300 gallon poly tank online (400 ' deep well, 100 to static WSE, w/pumtpec, water out of poly into jet pump, then into my system) in my drinking water system to provide water for peak demand due to my inadequate 1/2 gpm well. All is well and working, however, my well pump is supposed to be running at a maximum of 8.3 amps, and its actually running right around 10. I have a valve between the pump and the poly tank, and tried cutting it back while monitoring the amps, but I get it to about 9.4 until the flow sounds very turbulent, and I open it back up a little. My well pump is a 3/4 HP Goulds (just bought the house, this is the only info the driller had records for :( ), but the owner's manual I have specifies it as being either a GS or LS series. My estimate on output from the pump is about 9 gpm, from a static WSE of approximately 100 feet. I was thinking of some way to throttle it back to 5 GPM. I'm sure that there is some kind of flow regulator out on the market, but being a dam engineer and not dealing with plumbing very much, I have no idea as to what would work best in this situation. Any recommendations on products and/or websites to buy from would be greatly appreciated.

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
One way I've found to to reduce the current on motors is to reduce the voltage by 10% to 20%. This reduces eddy current losses even if the RPM stays the same.

The only problem is that this could cause starting problems depending on the motor and the load.

The high amperage might also be a indication that the pump has either a bad bearing or a shorted loop in a winding.

Speedbump

Reaction score
It could also be a bad splice or nick in the wire causing a path to ground. If it were bad enough, the Pump wouldn't run at all. You probably have an ohm meter. Check the pump wires to ground. You should be reading several megohms if all is ok. If it's less than 50K ohms, you may be heading for some more serious problems.

bob...

sparkie

In the Trades
Reaction score
High Amps

Might be wise to consider voltage drop. I've seen it many times.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks