Too many turns?

Users who are viewing this thread

Schnabeltasse

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I’m building an addition with a bathroom. The main 3” drain line runs along the old concrete foundation wall perpendicular to the floor joists in the new basement (and exits separate from the existing plumbing). The bathroom is right above the main line. I will have a tub and a shower that sit along the wall to the old house above the main drain line. I would like to keep the pipes between the main line and traps between the floor joists and I need to place the main drain as close to the ceiling as possible because I have a doorway into the old house in the basement that the pipe needs to clear. I’ve been thinking about how to run the vents. I need to somehow get them into the wall of the old house without running them horizontal. The trouble is that the upstairs wall is offset from the basement wall because the basement is concrete and I have framing on the old brick ledge to support the new floor. The 3” drain runs in front of this framing.
Is it acceptable to bring the 2” trap arm perpendicular across the top of the 3” line, then drop it into the side inlet of a san tee that drains into a long sweep elbow that connects to a horizontally positioned wye into the 3” line? For the vent I could then connect a 1.5” street 45 into the top of the san tee and run it through the rim joist, then turn it vertical with another 45 and take it from there up into the wall. Or maybe there are better options?
I’ll try to get a picture of my mockup.
Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Any waste going into a horizontal goes into a wye or combo.
Waste going into a vertical can be a santee.

index.php

If the lav is run with 2" it can wet vent the shower or tub. You pull the lav off the top of the trap arm for the shower and after that it can grade down to the 3" run.

Schnabeltasse

Reaction score
Any waste going into a horizontal goes into a wye or combo.
Waste going into a vertical can be a santee.

index.php

If the lav is run with 2" it can wet vent the shower or tub. You pull the lav off the top of the trap arm for the shower and after that it can grade down to the 3" run.

Thanks Terry. I was going to vent everything separately. The lavs are on the opposite wall and I believe would be too far away (the room is almost 9 ft wide), plus I would have to cross through several joists to bring it all together (I don’t want to go below the joists so I can finish the basement space).
Attached is a pic of what I was thinking. Main question I’m not sure about is whether it’s ok to bring the trap arm across the sewer line and then turn it around to bring it into the sewer line from the opposite side.

Attachments

• D064CD74-B1EC-4D75-9F5E-257B3F040155.jpeg
    D064CD74-B1EC-4D75-9F5E-257B3F040155.jpeg
    102.9 KB · Views: 211
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks