Too long to build up pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

Rman

Master mechanic
Reaction score
Hello
My pump is set at 104 feet in a 200 ft well. The pump is a 2wire 9gpm goulds pump set in 1999 when well was redrilled due to no water at 60 ft
The house has been vacant for a year waiting to be sold. Lousy NJ realtors. Today when I arrived to the house the pressure was on 0 psi? Power to well shut off. Turned power on and from 40 to 65 psi took over 10 minutes normally about 2min. There has always been heavy sediment in the filter post tank.
Could the sediment cause some of the impellers to break or seized up?
Bty the water is clean and clear
Should I pull the pump off the plotless and check for water pressure or run the pump for a while to see if the pressure returns?
Thanks Rman

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Sediment can wear down the impellers over time and make the pump slow to build pressure. But it usually doesn't happen all at once. When you turn off the power with no water being used, does the pressure stay the same or does it drop? If it drops you may have a hole in a pipe somewhere.

Rman

Master mechanic
Reaction score
Sediment can wear down the impellers over time and make the pump slow to build pressure. But it usually doesn't happen all at once. When you turn off the power with no water being used, does the pressure stay the same or does it drop? If it drops you may have a hole in a pipe somewhere.

Is it possible that the check valve at the pump is stuck in a slightly open position not allowing the pump to fill tank properly? Also the pressure drop from 65psi takes over 24hrs to reach zero. There is no check valve at the pressure tank. The tank is good I checked the pressure empty. About 9 yrs old.
Thanks Rman

Rman

Master mechanic
Reaction score
The pump will not hold 60 psi
With hose hooked up at tank pressure will go down to 10 psi and I'd guess 1 gpm clear water flow. If I close the hose bib the pressure will build up to 60psi in about 20 minutes
Time to pull pump? Can 1 person pull up 100ft of 1 inch poly pipe and pump? I'm 60yrs old been a contractor forever
Thanks

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You might want to get one of the larger neighbor boys to help a little. But that size pump can be pulled by hand. Maybe you have a clogged screen on the pump or something. It must be a restriction of some kind or it wouldn't be able to build to 60 psi.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm 62 and I can pull a 1 hp pump on 100 ft of poly pipe no problem. I might have to stop and rest once or twice though. It's nice to have a second person to help carry the pipe away as you pull it.

Can you pull it? Good guess.

Rman

Master mechanic
Reaction score
I'm 62 and I can pull a 1 hp pump on 100 ft of poly pipe no problem. I might have to stop and rest once or twice though. It's nice to have a second person to help carry the pipe away as you pull it.

Can you pull it? Good guess.
Pulled pump with a helper and found large flakes of rusty metal around the intake of the pump Decided to replace rather than cleaning a 12 yr pump. Now the water flow is back to normal. Thanks for all your helpful replies
Rman

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks