Too late to change anode and flush old water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

Jsmallberries

Reaction score
17 year old Lochnivar 40 gallon natural gas hot water heater. Sadly, the only maintenance I've done over the years was an occasional flush through the standard hose bib type drain.

It still works, but when using more then one appliance, sink, shower,washing machine etc.. the hot water pressure drops way low, So not temperature problem, just pressure, so I'm assuming it's corrosion related?

Would adding a full ball -valve drain, flushing out the tank and replacing the anode and dip tube(don't really have bad dip tube symptoms) make any difference at this point? The water is municipal hard water in our area

Local gas company has a rebate of 400 on a energy efficient gas heater, I'm looking at the
Rheem Performance Platinum 40 Gal. Tall 12 Year 40,000 BTU ENERGY STAR Natural Gas Water Heater
Model# XG40T12DM40U0. So brand new for possibly about 300, as opposed to putting money into a 17 year old unit,think I might have answered my own question

Seeing recurring theme about faulty vapor sensors in them, any advice appreciated before spend money which is in short supply

Attachments

• Burn chamber.jpg
    Burn chamber.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 314

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you have gotten 17 years out of a gas water heater, that's very good.
I would be thinking of replacement right now. Seventeen years is a lot of dog years for a water heater. Most plumbers don't like spending time on anything over 10 years, as they could fail anyway within days after working on them. If you're putting time and money into something, it should be something with an expectation that it's going to last a while.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks