Toilet flange too high causes rocking

Users who are viewing this thread

joe4million

Reaction score
I have a new tolit, (but even old tolit did this) where it appears the toilet flange is so high after i put the wax seal on the bottom of the tolit the tolit does not sit even on the floor at all, anywhere around the toilet,

Its completely on top of the seal which is on the flange, so its 100% unstable,

Its a concrete floor and the flange is really in there so im not sure how to fix this problem or what to do,

Please help! suggestions on how to fix it, remove the old flange or deal with this, frustrated

See pictures

Attachments

• 20140930_081150.jpg
    20140930_081150.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 775
  • 20140930_081156.jpg
    20140930_081156.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 862
  • 20140930_half_inch_to_inch_tall_flange-1.jpg
    20140930_half_inch_to_inch_tall_flange-1.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,072
  • 20140930_half_inch_to_inch_tall_flange-2.jpg
    20140930_half_inch_to_inch_tall_flange-2.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 794
  • 20140930_half_inch_to_inch_tall_flange-3.jpg
    20140930_half_inch_to_inch_tall_flange-3.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 801
  • 20140930_half_inch_to_inch_tall_flange-4.jpg
    20140930_half_inch_to_inch_tall_flange-4.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 784

Reach4

Reaction score
I read Canplas as the manufacturer. It looks like ABS plastic. What is the material that is deeper inside the floor-- is that more ABS, or is that cast iron?

I think you are saying that you tried lifting that flange out with considerable force.

That looks like an odd flange. Is there a part name or number?

When the toilet was mounted, how high above the floor were the edges? If 1/16 inch, you could add a bunch of shims. However it looks like a lot more than that in your photos.

joe4million

Reaction score
I tried to see if that CANPAS flange would come out, but i did not really use a lot of force or anything, i wasnt sure how to remove it, are they not ABS Yellow cemented in there??

I was worried if i tried prying it, the thing would break off and I would have a nightmere situation.

http://www.canplasplumbing.com/portals/9/canadianpricelists/c10-11-110.pdf

The above PDF shows the a nice low profile flange where it looks really thin compared to the monster thats on my floor right now, what i wouldnt give to figure a way to remove the old one and replace with new one

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Set the toilet on a sheet of cardboard and trace out the outline. Take the template to a counter top place and get a spacer cut out of white solid surface material.

Reach4

Reaction score
You are implying that the piece buried in the concrete is ABS.

I am not a pro. Maybe you could find one that has tools like this or better: https://www.plumbingsupply.com/toilet-flange-removal-tool.html

I would consider grinding/beltsanding off the top portion of that flange, and putting a metal repair ring over the remainder to hold the closet bolts. But I don't know if that flange is solid across the bottom. I would guess that would not prevent the use of the cutter tool if that top removal did not work out.

Oooo... LLigetfa's custom spacer sounds good.

joe4million

Reaction score
You are implying that the piece buried in the concrete is ABS.

I am not a pro. Maybe you could find one that has tools like this or better: https://www.plumbingsupply.com/toilet-flange-removal-tool.html

I would consider grinding/beltsanding off the top portion of that flange, and putting a metal repair ring over the remainder to hold the closet bolts. But I don't know if that flange is solid across the bottom. I would guess that would not prevent the use of the cutter tool if that top removal did not work out.

Oooo... LLigetfa's custom spacer sounds good.

joe4million

Reaction score
Honestly not fond of the idea of using a platform to build the toilet up off the floor, even if its a 1/2 - 3/4 " lift, its just not natural i think plus i have to deal with the difference by using a wide swath of sealant to hide it... seems not the right way, i like the idea of cutting the pipe using the tool you mentioned, it sounds like the right way to go, cut it out, bond in a new flange with the right size and height ....

Any other suggestions? i wonder how i can figure out if the pipe is ABS or PVC or does that even really matter if im cutting it out? also how would i know what it was connected to under the ground, wouldnt all newer homes 1995+ be PVC or ABS sewer pipe not cast ?

joe

Reach4

Reaction score
Search for "ram bit" and see if you can find one that matches your dimensions.

PVC fittings are normally white and not black.

Reach4

Reaction score
Any other suggestions? i wonder how i can figure out if the pipe is ABS or PVC or does that even really matter if im cutting it out? also how would i know what it was connected to under the ground, wouldnt all newer homes 1995+ be PVC or ABS sewer pipe not cast
What would that matter if some homes then used cast iron for buried sewer lines? I don't know what the construction practices in BC were in 1995. There are places where burying ABS in concrete would not have been allowed.

Yes, yours is probably ABS. It does look like some glue extending below your flange fitting. If you had doubts, you could use a magnet. I think you are trying to make a point there rather than looking for a solution. Instead you could have posted the other markings on that thing that you have and maybe find out what you have for sure.

Ram bit. Grind/sand off and add repair ring. Some saw and use a chisel.

Last edited:

joe4million

Reaction score
so if i take a hacksaw and saw it right off between the floor and underside of the flange, i have to use a chisel and remove the rest of the flange from insider the waste pipe? would you think that would cause me more grief or is that really the only other option, then buy a proper thin flange of some kind instead of that type i have

like this video shows: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey6c4XUNPBc ?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Since that is ABS, it's fairly easy to cut it down lower. For securing the closet bolts, we would drill into the concrete for a new flange repair.

Bill Shack

30years plumbing 10years plumbing inspector
Reaction score
This happened to me once. I would suggest re moving the flange and the tile under the flange, the reinstall the flange on the concrete.

joe4million

Reaction score
fullysprinklered, well holy hell you hit the nail on the head as they say,... some bozo had put not only 2 but what appears to have been 3 wax seals on top of each other ... i pryed off 2 more rings............................i never realized such a small amount of plastic could cause such a comotion.....the toilet is fully working no rocking and all is good, except the position of the water source for this particular toilet but thats something that has to be moved and nothing to do with the toilet itself......

thanks guys for the help, thank goodness i didnt end up having to chisel the flange out, that probably wouldnt have helped in the end....

<<< how silly of me not to have been more careful >>>

meh, first timers do sillest things, joe

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well, you focus a couple of hundred years of plumbing experience on a problem and wonderful things can happen. No wax ring will ever whip our ass.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks