Toilets that sit flush to the wall

Users who are viewing this thread

bookssy

Reaction score
I am interested in a toilet with a bottom outlet 12" rough-in that sits right flush to the wall. The Duravit Happy D http://www.duravit.us/products/series/happy-d./toilets--c-toilets_useo6q3rqe.html or Duravit US Toilets one piece http://www.duravit.us/products/series/us-toilets/toilets/one-piece-toilet--016301_toilets_93538_useo6q3ru8.html

The Kohler Saile http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatalog/detail.jsp?from=thumb&frm=&module=Toilets&item=13150202&prod_num=3564&section=2&category=13 or Persuade look like they might fit the bill, but the pictures don't really show them at the right angle. I really really hate the dirt catcher behind the bowl under the tank. It's backbreaking to get at and it gets really hairy and disgusting if you ignore it.

Can anyone suggest some models for me? Thanks in advance!

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
Ignore the promotional photos when it comes to real world installations. The only way you will have a toilet sit flush perfectly against the wall is if you have a very competent plumber who changes the rough-in to suit the exact model toilet you purchase, or if you install a caroma unifit model. And the only way you are going to minimize crud building up behind the toilet is to purchase a one piece skirted model.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
All toilets(except wall-hung) are designed to NOT sit against the wall. Depending on the rough in, it could.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you think that even if you find a toilet that sets flush against wall you won't have a cleaning problem, you'll be in for a disappointment. Actually, with some space it is easier to clean. None of the toilets you mention would be worth bringing home, IMHO. The first Duravit is a wall mount and would be totally unsuited. Kohler is notorious for not having product support after a few years, and many of their parts are available only from the factory at a very high price. Some parts have been known to cost as much as a good quality toilet.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The only way a floor mount tank type toilet would fit "tight to the wall" would be if the plumber knew EXACTLY how far the opening had to be from the finished wall, AND also knew how thick the finished wall would be from the framing. I would NEVER attempt to install the pipe that way, and hope it would all come out properly in the end, because if it did NOT, and the wall was thicker than specified, (which is OFTEN the case), I might be the one who had to pay to break the floor and move the pipe, then retile the floor or bathroom.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
What geniescience failed to mention us wall hung toilets do not flush through the floor. They require a 6" wall with the drain inside the wall, and special mounting hardware.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I guess he felt that was just a "minor" technicality, but one that adds hundreds of dollars to a new installation, and maybe THOUSANDS to an existing one.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You might be interested in the Toto Ultramax ii. If you Google "Toto Ultramaxii flush" you can find a U Tuba video and brief description of the flushing of the Ultramax. The Ultramax ii is a one piece unit which makes for the easy cleaning you are concerned with. As previously discussed, any toilet the set tight against the wall will still have a small, impossible to clean gap. Better to have the skirt with some space to the wall that at least can be cleaned. Of course, the first concern of any toilet is the quality of the flush. I think the video will show the Ultramax ii qualifies on that requirement. The model that seems to be a very good seller is the MS604114CEFG. It will qualify for a rebate if your area offer them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks