toilets not in use

Users who are viewing this thread

jjack67

Reaction score
We need to replace 2 toilets in our second home. They sometimes are not in use from 1 to 6 months. Are there any toilets that work or don't work that can sit for this period of time not in use. We now alway turn the water off, make sure water is left in the bowl and tank before we leave. Code in our area is 1.6. Have replaced 3 toilets in our main house with Toto, outstanding, but were hoping to save money on going with a less expensive one at our second home due to lack of use.
Suggestions?
Thanks,
JJ

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Personally, I think this is false economy, but it's your call. The Big Box Stores have tons of cheap toilets they would be glad to sell you, some for as little as $100 complete. You never know for sure, you might pick one that works just fine for your needs, but you might also pick a dog. If you leave this place in the winter, you need to winterize the plumbing. That would include RV antifreeze in the toilet trap and at least draining the P traps elsewhere. The water lines should be blown out. A plumber could probably design a system for blowing the lines that would be fairly easy, but would require an air compressor. Once designed and installed the winterizing would not take too long or be too costly. I would take a second look at the Eco Drake for replacement toilets. 1.2 gpf and top performer.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Austin's sort of on the edge...hot, but sometimes humid, unlike the 'norm' of western TX. Any water can evaporate and if it does, it opens up that fixture to the sewer (or in your case, probably a septic system). Some toilets have a larger water spot than others, but they all can evaporate dry overtime. Maybe some plastic wrap over the top would prevent that. Any trap can evaporate dry. It won't hurt the toilet, but the first time you go to use it, you may want to flush once first - this will refill the bowl to the proper level so it has its best chance of actually working.

jjack67

Reaction score
Sorry, folks , forgot to mention this is a condo, so having to winterize is not an issue.
Thanks for your suggestions.
And, yes, I think you maybe right in regards to false economy but thought it was worth checking
Thanks, again
JJ

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks