Toilets Not Flushing?

Users who are viewing this thread

CeeLoSlice

Reaction score
Neither of my toilets are flushing right now. I dropped a deuce and it flushed just fine. Wife went to use it a couple minutes later and it was slow to flush, wouldn't go down completely, and the level raised too high before slowly going back down. I just noticed the guest toilet isn't flushing at all, just adding water. We've done two loads of laundry in the past hour, as well, if that makes a difference. City water, not well.

Anybody have any tips before I call out a pro to take all of my money?

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Are the two toilets on the same floor?
Any other evidence of a clog downstream of the two toilets (e.g. shower drain slow or backing up, etc.)?

Since you are on city water, presumably on city sewer system, not septic tank?

CeeLoSlice

Reaction score
Are the two toilets on the same floor?
Any other evidence of a clog downstream of the two toilets (e.g. shower drain slow or backing up, etc.)?

Since you are on city water, presumably on city sewer system, not septic tank?

Single-story home, so same floor, yes. It started to back up into the master bath, but drained fine when we cleaned it up.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a clog in your main line. This is a job for a pro.

I am not a plumber, but from being on this site for several years, the pros recommend hiring an actual plumber, not a franchise company with "rooter" in the name.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Yes, you appear to have a main line clog. The snakes you can typically rent usually only poke a hole in the obstruction, not remove it. Those big enough to actually clear that obstruction are dangerous to use - people lose fingers, and other body parts if the thing gets jammed and twists around, which is why is usually isn't a good idea for someone not trained to use it try.

A clog can happen for numerous reasons - tree roots, the line collapsed, an improper slope that could include a low spot that eventually filled up with crud, and probably other things. Far down on the possibility list would be a problem in the main sewer line, but it's not impossible. Has there been a lot of rain lately? Is there a restaurant uphill from where you live (ever heard about a Fatburg?)?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks