Toilets for wheelchair users

Users who are viewing this thread

Eric Bishop

Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a toilet replacement for a wheelchair user? She presently has a toilet with a rim height of 18.5". I have only been able to find a toilet with a max rim height of 17.25". She is not fond of using an extension seat, and there is no manufacturer name on the bowl or inside the tank of her present toilet which is over 20 years old. Thanks.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The MAXIMUM seat height allowed by ADA is 19". Therefore, to allow for about an inch+ of seat height to avoid being sued by the ADA nazis, the tallest toilet bowl you will find today is right in the 17" to 17½" range.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
A 17" rim height toilet and a REGULAR, not an extension, seat, WILL give about 18"-18 1/2" height.
Exactly...but she actually asked for a RIM height of 18½ for a seat height which would then be closer to 20". I get asked for higher toilets all the time, and the answer from the Dept. of Justice ( ADA ) is seat extenders! Enjoy!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you put in a wall-hung toilet (it can get expensive), you, in theory anyway, could make it any height you wanted. Don't know what the local inspector might say about it - best to ask first.

Eric Bishop

Reaction score
Thank you to all for your responses. The existing toilet rim height is 18.5" AFF without the seat--Unfortunately there is no manufacturer id anywhere on this thing which needs replacing.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I have always thought that a wheelchair should have a removeable cushion, under which the seat structure is cut out the same as a toilet seat size. Now one can park over a shower drain or squatter hole and do ones thing without all the contortions. Probably would make me a fortune. Clean up the shower and chair with the hand held shower head.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks