Toilets for Vacation Rental Home

Users who are viewing this thread

JerryS

Reaction score
We recently purchased a home in northern Michigan that will be full of vacationing families this summer. Our first weekend in the home this past fall resulted in my 12 y.o. plugging a toilet upstairs and about $7000 worth of damage. Obviously I don't want that to happen ever again, especially since it could mean significant loss of income if I have to get a restoration contractor in there again. Hence I need to replace two upstairs Kohler Wellworths and a downstairs Proflo.

I make the point it is a vacation rental because that piece of information sets the stage for toilet selection - it must be indestructible/unplug-able, easy to operate for renters (single flush?), easy to clean, and look good. The rest of the criteria would be 12 inch rough in, elongated, comfort height, and parts readily available from local hardware as anything such as a big box or plumbing supply will be 45 minutes away. Other parts option would be I can stock a set of parts.

I've put a Toto Drake into my own home 8 or 10 years ago, and it has been flawless for the most part. I had considered a couple of American Standard models since they are readily available at a big box, but do not like what I have read about the seats and lack of replacement options, and the complexity of the Vormax flush mechanism. So, it seems to come down to:

Toto Drake CST744SG 1.6 GPF
Toto Eco Drake CST744EG-01 1.28GPF (not sure what the "1" is for)
Toto Drake II CST454CEFG 1.28GPF

Is there really any difference between these models or between 1.28 vs 1.6 as far as bowl cleanliness after flushing? I understand the Drake II claims but if I can save $100 by the time I buy three (and maybe a fourth for the attached apartment) I can pay for another toilet.

Is there any noise difference? All three are right outside of the bedrooms, and the less guest are woken up the better.

Any problem going with CEFIONTECT? At least for a bit we will have both CEFIONTECT and non-SG on the property, but I have confidence in my cleaning lady she can refrain from "normal cleaning" methods with SG.

Any other input is appreciated, regarding either the toilet selection or installation, to ensure a reliable, trouble free installation.

Thanks,

Jerry

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Toto Drake CST744SG 1.6 GPF, This is a 14-5/8" high bowl.

Toto Eco Drake CST744EG-01 1.28GPF (not sure what the "1" is for), this is a 14-5/8" high bowl

Toto Drake II CST454CEFG 1.28GPF, this is a 16-1/8" high bowl

Bowl heights with TOTO
F = 16-1/8"
L = 16-1/2"
None of those letters, most likely 14-5/8" or could be 15-1/8" with a standard height Aquia.

E = 1.28 GPF
S = 1.60 GPF
U = 1.0 GPF

Third number 3 = Round
Third number 4 = Elongated

01 = Cotton White

The Drake II, CST454CEFG with CEFIONTECT would be good.
You can also use an Entrada, CST244EF, same height, no CEFIONTECT.

Most hardware stores now carry the standard 3" TOTO flapper, and you can use either the Fluidmaster PM or the Korky fill MP valve.

JerryS

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Terry. I knew I might be off on the model numbers, that helps.

If I can't find the Totos by next weekend - my anticipated trip to install - will an American Standard Champion 4 1.6 GPF serve me sufficiently? I know they are not as well regarded here, and know your view as a pro that you won't risk you time ...

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why don't you go to your local plumbing shops? Even if they don't carry Totos in stock, they can order them. I would think the last toilet you would want in a rental is one that had issues just to save a few dollars. I would suggest not to get Sanigloss because renters would likely use an abrasive at some point and ruin the Sanigloss.

JerryS

Reaction score
Hi Gary, I will be contacting plumbling shops today. I guess I don't have a handle on how serious those issues are ... I've seen positive reviews/comments here and a lot of the troubles see to have been years ago.

I was hoping if I keep a soft toilet brush near the toilet and not keep any toilet bowl cleaner around I would avoid ruining the CEFIONTECT. Maybe that is wishful thinking. I would think vacationers would only use the brush for skid marks and leave the heavy cleaning to our cleaning crew, which will be well informed.

JerryR

Reaction score
If you go to homedepot.com you can order Toto toilets.

I recommend ship to store for free shipping and inspect the toilet at the store for shipping damage before leaving.

JerryS

Reaction score
If you go to homedepot.com you can order Toto toilets.

I recommend ship to store for free shipping and inspect the toilet at the store for shipping damage before leaving.
I found them at a plumbing supply for a decent price and in stock, and will likely being going with that.

Thanks Jerry.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks