Toilet won't flush

Users who are viewing this thread

BIGDAWG

Reaction score
So when I flush my basement toilet the water fills all the way up in the bowl and sits. But when I flush any other toilet upstairs it will drain all the water like a regular flush. What could the problem be? Clogged or a vent issue? It's also connected to the town water and sewer.

Reach4

Reaction score
It is not a vent issue.

Clogged toilet or pipe from the toilet.

New toilets, which use less water, generally flush better because they have a better design. A nice side-effect is that a flush does not use enough water to overflow the bowl.

BIGDAWG

Reaction score
It is not a vent issue.

Clogged toilet or pipe from the toilet.

New toilets, which use less water, generally flush better because they have a better design. A nice side-effect is that a flush does not use enough water to overflow the bowl.
The house was built in 2005. The water will not go down now. I manually emptied the bowl water into a bucket and it fills back up almost to the top. It will not overflow though. Also thank you for the response.

Reach4

Reaction score

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
First floor backs up, upper floors don't?
Could be a mainline backup. Or just something stuck in the trapway of the downstairs toilet. If there were something like a tub or shower downstairs, that would be a clue as to whether it was the mainline.
If it's just that toilet, sometimes pouring a bucket down the bowl, plunging, or auguring the toilet.

BIGDAWG

Reaction score
First floor backs up, upper floors don't?
Could be a mainline backup. Or just something stuck in the trapway of the downstairs toilet. If there were something like a tub or shower downstairs, that would be a clue as to whether it was the mainline.
If it's just that toilet, sometimes pouring a bucket down the bowl, plunging, or auguring the toilet.
No, only the basement toilet. It is only a toilet also. It is filled to the brim with water and once I empty it, it fills back up to where it was prior. Thank you for the response.

BIGDAWG

Reaction score
In running a plunger, there are various techniques.

Consider a closet auger. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-3-ft-Toilet-Auger-82-972-111/301879203 is an inexpensive one.

If the blockage is below the toilet, then vigorous plunging can cause strong pressure or vacuum at the wax seal, and the wax seal may fail.
I did try to auger it with a 3ft one. It did not resolve it. I also haven't flushed toilet paper in the last 24 hours. It started acting up last night. Thank you for the response.

Reach4

Reaction score
No, only the basement toilet. It is only a toilet also. It is filled to the brim with water and once I empty it, it fills back up to where it was prior.
Seriously? Just to confim, turn off the wall stop valve before emptying next time.

If the toilet fills up again, then for sure you have a stoppage downstream, and pipes higher than the floor are storing up water to the level that the toilet refills to.

This may not seem like a blessing, but it may be. You get early warning to drain the septic or clean the drain pipes before the basement flooded. If the house has septic, consider getting that tank pumped as somewhat of an emergency.

There is one other possibility that comes to mind. If the basement toilet feeds into a septic basin with a pump, that could somehow figure into this. However the part of that does not seem to fit is the apparent storage of water above ground that serves to refill the toilet. But it is worth considering if that toilet pumps into a sealed septic pit.

Last edited:

BIGDAWG

Reaction score
Seriously? Just to confim, turn off the wall stop valve before emptying next time.

If the toilet fills up again, then for sure you have a stoppage downstream, and pipes higher than the floor are storing up water to the level that the toilet refills to.

This may not seem like a blessing, but it may be. You get early warning to drain the septic or clean the drain pipes before the basement flooded. If the house has septic, consider getting that tank pumped as somewhat of an emergency.

There is one other possibility that comes to mind. If the basement toilet feeds into a septic basin with a pump, that could somehow figure into this. However the part of that does not seem to fit is the apparent storage of water above ground that serves to refill the toilet. But it is worth considering if that toilet pumps into a sealed septic pit.
it was the town sewer line that was clogged and it came shooting out through the toilet when they jetted the sewer system and flooded the entire basement.

Reach4

Reaction score
it was the town sewer line that was clogged and it came shooting out through the toilet when they jetted the sewer system and flooded the entire basement.
That's sad. A classic mechanical snake would have been better in retrospect.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks