Toilet with wall insert flush

Users who are viewing this thread

Arun V

Reaction score
I'm looking for a floor standing toilet (12" rough), however would like the flush tank to be hidden in the wall (like the ones that come for wall mounted toilets).

Is this possible, any suggestions on specific products that can accomplish this?

For background, currently the toilet is on a concrete slab and don't want to cut thru the slab to make it wall mounted. But I like the looks of a hidden toilet tank.

Thanks,
-arun

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Probably doesn't exist. This is why I think this, but can't confirm; the pathways in a bowl designed for an in-wall tank for the flush water and waste are different from a floor mount, rear discharge toilet or a normal discharge bowl integrated with a tank. One of the things is the in-wall tank would be higher up than a typical tank on bowl. THat means that the water will have a chance to fall further, which means faster, and that could cause it to splash in the bowl.

Unless the slab is post-tensioned, it generally isn't really all that terrible to cut it to make plumbing changes. Yes, it adds to the cost, but may be essential if that feature is important to you.

Reach4

Reaction score
Is this possible, any suggestions on specific products that can accomplish this?
Possible. You probably won't like it however.

You can mount a Flushomatic toilet. Those need a lot of water for a brief period. The commercial people run big pipes -- 1 inch or bigger.

However you can use a pressure tank as would be used with a well, and only run the big pipe to that tank. That tank would not fit into a wall, but maybe you have a space -- possible outside or surprisingly, even buried in the yard.

What I proposed is not normally done. Yet it would work well. Perhaps possible means something else to you than it does to me. I don't know the level of your motivation.

Also, a Toto Neorest might appeal to you. https://www.totousa.com/products/neorest Not cheap, but more commonly done than what I suggested above.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Using a Flushometer would require a tank that could hold at least a couple of gallons of water so it all could be quickly dispensed at once through a big pipe. You could mount the tank remotely, but the pipe TO the bowl would need to be quite large, maybe at least an inch, you'd have to check the specs on the valve you wanted. These utilize a lever valve and are mostly used in commercial locations. They also aren't particularly quiet when they flush, if that's an issue for you. It's a similar concept to a pressure assist toilet, but with a larger valve to supply the slug of water needed to crate the flush.

An in-wall tank for a gravity flush bowl wouldn't work on a toilet designed for a Flushometer, I don't think, or vice-versa.

Arun V

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses.

If I choose a tank-less toilet, would the existing plumbing not be able to handle the water pressure in long run.

Is this something I should be concerned about?

-arun

Reach4

Reaction score
f I choose a tank-less toilet, would the existing plumbing not be able to handle the water pressure in long run.
The normal house plumbing could not handle the high flow in the short run. But since the flush takes under 2 gallons, the normal house plumbing could handle that without problem. By using a pressure tank to supply the quick high flow need, and then let the house plumbing refill that, that could work.

The flushomatic toilets are pretty commercial looking. So I don't know how that would fit your plans.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
A Flushometer relies on a very high volume of water very quickly under pressure...a small diameter pipe can't handle that. A pressure assisted toilet (essentially the same thing as using a Flushometer with a pressure storage tank) uses the utility water pressure to fill the tank, then a valve opens and dumps it out through a big pipe. You've seen Flushometers in commercial places. Sometimes, they put the valve in the wall, sometimes there's a big pipe coming out of the wall to the bowl with the valve on that pipe that's visible. You need the big pipe from where the water is stored, but you could hide all of that and have the flush handle in the wall instead of on a big pipe outside to the toilet. TO feed those commercial Flushometer valves, the supply water line is basically an extension of the pipe you can see...big. Storing water under pressure would allow you that big volume IF you can find a tank with a big enough outlet. The inlet side to refill the tank isn't the big deal, it's the large exit from the tank to the FLushometer valve and into the bowl that is.

Gravity flush toilets rely on the tank height and a large flush valve to create the flush...they also dump a lot of water all at once, but it tends to be an even larger volume through a larger hole. About the smallest flush valve you see on a gravity flush tank is 2" and 3" are common.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
There used to be a Geberit Monolith system that had the concealed tank with a floorstanding toilet. Not sure if its still a thing.

OK.. Found it.

ME by Starck Toilet floorstanding

Model-No. 216909
back-to-wall, washdown model, hardware included, horizontal outlet
Paired with this Geberit in wall tank.

BUTT.... Look very carefully at the drain location for this toilet. It will need to be moved. I've installed one once 30yrs ago without knowing anything about them. Doable, but planning is key.

Could also look at Toto Neorest toilets which also have no tank but utilize your typical water supply.

NEOREST® AH DUAL FLUSH TOILET - 1.0 GPF & 0.8 GPF​

SKU: MS989CUMFG#01

Also:

Studio® S One-Piece 1.0 gpf/3.8 Lpf Chair Height Elongated Toilet With Seat​

Model: 2548A100.020

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Go with a commercial flushometer. You need 1 inch supply line, but they make some handsome valves.

The main purpose of the hidden tank is to hang the toilet so you can clean under it easier. To hang a whole toilet, tank and all is goofy so they hide the tank.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are 2 main considerations for placing the tank in the wall.

1- Cleaning under and around is much easier with a wall mounted toilet if a Wall mount toilet were installed.
2- Placing the tank in the wall saves about 6-10" of space so they fit in a lot more places.

From an remodel standpoint, I would think it generally much easier to change the drain location for the duravit than it would be to upsize the water supply to a full 1 to 1.25" required to install a flushometer. There are a ton of on site factors that would have to be considered for either option.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks