Toilet will not stop filling after pipes froze

Users who are viewing this thread

skeeloco

Reaction score
Was about -1 here in Pittsburgh last night, seems this caused my bathroom pipes to freeze up. I was not getting cold water to sink nor any water to toilet. Fired up the space heater, thawed out in about 10 minutes...however water will not stop flowing to the toilet, I have to turn the line off.

Something seems to be up with the float valve/ fill valve. I press up on the float and the water will simply not shut off. I pulled the top off of the valve, and checked and cleaned the seal...seems to be fine. I'm fearing something went awry when the pipes froze, but what?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What brand and model of fill valve? SOrt of like asking why your car doesn't run without some more info...too many things to mention.

If you cracked the toilet, verses something in the valve, it's replace time. Sounds like when things froze, it may have bent or broken something inside of the valve. What, without knowing which one, it's hard to say.

Reach4

Reaction score
Presumably the fill valve is not working right and should be replaced. It is not hard for many people to do diy.

skeeloco

Reaction score
It is a Fluidmaster 400 series. I figure it may need replacement, just looking for a quick fix before I have to nag the property manager.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks